Woods-style house in the winter

Pics
Question.

How is the space between the rafters filled??? Or is it left open or covered with rat wire??

DH thought the cold in coming air would drop right down onto the birds. I think he is right. So I would love input.

Love love love this coop idea!!! I think Im going to steal it for coop number 2! My husband is going to kill me! Lol Im blaming this entirely on you..... Lol

Question.

How is the space between the rafters filled??? Or is it left open or covered with rat wire??

DH thought the cold in coming air would drop right down onto the birds.  I think he is right. So I would love input. 

Do you mean where the two roofs meet? There are supposed to be open/close windows in there. Did you read the book yet? You can also take a look in e beginning of Jack's thread, he shows his windows in detail. In my signature is a link to my woods coop. I have scrapped display windows from a builder friend. They don't need to be as fancy as mine. But they do need to open to facilitate air flow in the summer.

But yes, if that is open, the cold air will come in. I only close my coop up (all but the open front which stays open all the time) when the temps dip into the 30's at night. It's going to get down to mid 40's tonight, and the all the windows are open.

Other than that I can't see where you mean "between the rafters". There would be sheathing and roofing over it?

Last edited:
Or wait! I think I got it! (Sorry it's hard to visualize what you mean because We built the thing a while ago now.).

Where the rafters meet the roof, you have to box it in. I think my husband cut the rafter shapes out of the main cross piece and sealed with caulking, but it could easily be boxed in front of the ends of the boards.

If this isn't it, I give up. :lol:

Last edited:
Or wait! I think I got it! (Sorry it's hard to visualize what you mean because We built the thing a while ago now.).

Where the rafters meet the roof, you have to box it in. I think my husband cut the rafter shapes out of the main cross piece and sealed with caulking, but it could easily be boxed in front of the ends of the boards.

If this isn't it, I give up.
lol.png

gig.gif
YOu got it!!!

I'm stressing. Between the slowness of construction, and now the potential closing of the USPS as of midnight -- and DH away for a few days . . . I"m stresssssssing.

I careful ready the online book and looked at the photo. THe photos show facial boards but NO mention of boxing in the rafters. I read it several times. One design showed the rafters OPEN, but could not verify if this was a finished structure or not. Looked like it might be finished exept for the Un boxed rafters. So
hu.gif

For the time being, enclosing the rafters will have to wait until other walls are up and roof is on. SLow going.

I think back in the day they cut little slots in the cross board for the rafters. (The board the rafters sit on). We have a lot of old out-buildings in my area and that's how they were "finished". Of course, we don't do it that way now, but for the chicken house as long as it's caulked it was ok for us. I don't know how far along you are in the construction, but if you have a separate post for your coo build, some people with good ideas might come to your rescue. You are still welcome here. But this is a specific building/constructin issue, not just a woods design issue. I'm sure you're not the first one to try to figure out how to patch the holes left by rafters. Good luck!

I think back in the day they cut little slots in the cross board for the rafters. (The board the rafters sit on). We have a lot of old out-buildings in my area and that's how they were "finished". Of course, we don't do it that way now, but for the chicken house as long as it's caulked it was ok for us. I don't know how far along you are in the construction, but if you have a separate post for your coo build, some people with good ideas might come to your rescue. You are still welcome here. But this is a specific building/constructin issue, not just a woods design issue. I'm sure you're not the first one to try to figure out how to patch the holes left by rafters. Good luck!

I started my own thread several days ago as I was feeling unwelcome here. Too bad, as keeping this thread running would be helpful to all interested in wood style houses. The OP JackE specfifically designed a wood style house . . . .

Back
Top Bottom