World Egg Day Hatchalong!(October 12, 2012 is World Egg Day!)

First pip! And it isn't in the air sac.... The little guy better hatch. I do wonder if there is a reason that some chicks don't get into hatching position. When this happens, I try to break off just a few more tiny pieces so that the chick has a big enough hole to breathe properly. If he's not hatched by Sunday morning, I'll help but I'm hoping that he'll figure it out before then.

And I agree with cluck-cluck that it sounds like spraddle leg. I have never delt with it personally, but it can be fixed with a band aid or tape holding the legs in the correct position. I use hay for bedding which prevents spraddle leg, but I once in a while end up with a chick with a dislocated achilles tendon. It is so sad listening to the poor little chick scream as you get the tendon back into place, it just breaks my heart. Actually, thats what the chick in my profile picture did. And there was one chick that I was never able to get it back into place. Every hour I would put it back into place and wrap it and I even tried a chick chair to keep her off it, but it would never stay in place, so now she is 2 years old and hobbles around our barn using the hock of her ingured leg. Good Luck with the little guy!

Here's a good link on spraddle leg: http://www.the-chicken-chick.com/2012/02/spraddle-leg-in-baby-chicks-what-is-it.html

9 of 12 hatched yesterday. 1 is doing the splits, not walking. What wrong amd can I fix it?
Cut a bandaid in half and wrap the sticky part on leg close to toes and take the other end of sticky part and tape to the other leg same place. The part between the legs should only be the white gauze part of the band-aid. I left mine on my chick for a week and it is perfect now.

hi all ,well start of day 22 for me .2 Australorps out ,1 "A" pipped,1 " LS" pipped .nothing else ,my last hatch was the same 1-2 day 21 rest end of day 22 .fan forced runs 99.5 steady,guess its just the way it goes.

Day 20 and first chirp just heard. No pips yet but always a relief to know there's someone alive in there. Come on girls!!

Congratulations Aussie Pete. I'm a way behind and definitely missed World Egg Day! On Day 20 and currently sitting here with 2 pips.

Congrats aussie pete
woot.gif

Tis OK GVChickenMan, just means the thread will last longer ;P LOL I need to take pictures today when I get back home after 1 or so ;P

I put food an water out last night, and thought, I'm not going to show them anything, after all, it's too soon probably, but they found it all on their own in no time, and have been eating and drinking! (I used a lot of marbles in a low bowl for water, so they do travel on top of it a lot, gonna have to clean it often! LOL

Back
Top Bottom