World Record Egg? - SMALLEST EGG

CountryFlock

Songster
9 Years
Apr 24, 2014
United States
A2446293-D441-4027-8659-5A0554A5A444.jpeg
64661A69-3B98-44D0-8CA4-F9836B745CDA.jpeg

Current record is 1.55 cm. This appears to be possibly the same or smaller.

Thoughts?

I had a small egg last fall. Then the chicken that laid my extra small egg stopped laying. They say, "Occasionally a hen will lay a fairy egg when something has disturbed her reproductive cycle. Sometimes a hen will lay a fairy egg or two just as she comes into laying, before her reproductive system has gotten into gear. They do come in all the colors that hens lay: white, brown, green, blue and so on, although they are sometimes lighter or darker than her regular eggs because they may spend more or less time in the "egg painting" area of her system, the shell gland. Fairy eggs are normally nothing to be concerned about. It simply means your hen didn't release a yolk before her body started producing an egg to enclose it.

Sometimes a hen may lay a small egg that still contains a yolk, too... even if she normally lays larger eggs. Again, this typically happens with a new layer as her body is getting into the rhythm of laying, but it can also happen with older birds if there has been a disturbance that upsets their usual cycle. "

All of our hens have been laying nice big eggs since September, except for the 2 tiny eggs. My hubby cracked the first tiny egg, there were only whites inside the shell. The 2nd tiny egg is still in the fridge. We aren't sure which hen is laying these and the only upsetting thing that has happened to them is the temps going from mid-teens up to 40 and back down plus all of the snow. We still have mostly snow in our yard. The only places that it has melted is where we have shoveled and plowed. Thank you Crazy Chava n chickens, I won't worry unless I see something wrong going on with our hens!

Back
Top Bottom