World's Easiest Pickles

2DogsFarm

Songster
10 Years
Apr 10, 2009
NW Indiana
TSC Out Here magazine has a recipe for bread & butter pickles made in the microwave.
The only thing wrong with it is it makes just one pint.
sad.png

I easily doubled it and will try it again to see if I can tweak the ingredients and make garlicky dill pickles.

If you can't get the magazine, here it is:
(this is the 1 pint quantities)

2 cups sliced cucumbers
1 cup sliced onion
1/2 cup white vinegar
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/2 teaspoon mustard seed
1/4 teaspoon celery seed
1/4 teaspoon turmeric
1 cup sugar (I used 3/4 cup for a double recipe)

I like a spicy pickle so I added 2 cloves of garlic , crushed, and a pinch of red pepper flakes

Mix together, cover with plastic wrap and microwave on High for 8 minutes.
Refrigerate before serving (DUH!)

I mixed everything in a large bowl then ladled into freezer jars after cooking. Did the doubled recipe for 10 minutes in the microwave.
I imagine you could just microwave in the jars too.

I picked four cucumbers from my garden today and made the pickles from the recipe and YES they were extremely easy to make and smell GREAT! I hope they taste as good as they smell.
droolin.gif

Thanks for sharing the recipe.
woot.gif

Oh, I thought I should add that the four cucumbers made a double batch.

Last edited:
Glad you liked it!

I just realized I have a zucchini relish recipe that uses pretty much the same ingredients except the zucchini & onion are chopped. So I'll be doing that in the microwave too.
It's a freezer relish and made great gifts last year.

Still haven't tried the dill pickles, but I will.....

Last edited:
In the beginning of our growing season,we don't get many cukes. so i make a SUN DILLS...

Take a big jar, cut my cukes lenght wise. put into the jar, fill 3/4 with vinegar and then add your spices, i also add glarlic cloves sliced, real dill works better, but if you don't have that, it's ok... I also add a little sugar.
wee.gif

then fill with water to the top. Let the jar sit outside for 3 days, then refridgerate.

They make you pucker
ep.gif
at first, but they're good... you can drop your levels down on anything or add things to this, it works great....
melinda

Melinda: YUM!
How easy is that?
And pucker is fine with me, I love me some sour pickles!

Makes me think of being a little kid again and filching big dill pickles out of the neighbor lady's crock she left on her back porch....
old.gif

Those were the Best Pickles EVER!

LOL!
Now I can filch my own pickles
lol.png

then fill with water to the top. Let the jar sit outside for 3 days, then refridgerate.

I better clarify.... you have to put the jar in FULL SUN for 3-4 days then refridgerate, eat chilled.

And a lot of how much? depends on the size of your jar and how many cukes you put into your jar....hope this helps.

melinda​

Thanks for the clarification on the Sun Dills.
They can sit right on my front porch that gets sun all day long (faces South)

I might have to get a jar started this weekend - I have a big gallon jar I used for ice tea that should be perfect.

I made these pickles yesterday and just tried them and they are AWESOME!

I was a little nervous as I never made pickles before but it was quick and easy and they taste great!

sunshineinsc wrote:
I made these pickles yesterday and just tried them and they are AWESOME!

I was a little nervous as I never made pickles before but it was quick and easy and they taste great!

I'm a little jealous b/c you already have cukes to do this....mine are still babies... and the weather here is not helping much..glad you liked them.
wee.gif

melinda​

Back
Top Bottom