Worm Out Gel versus Wormer Deluxe Powder

paneubert

Crowing
7 Years
Nov 20, 2015
Snohomish County, Washington State
My Coop
My Coop
Hello folks. Completely hypothetical here. Don't even have any birds at the moment. I was just browsing some of the Praziquantel/Oxfendazole combos on the market and cant seem to wrap my head around the dosage discrepancies of two products that contain the same active ingredients. Both have been discussed individually a little bit on here before, but not to any great extent or in any great detail from what I can find.

WormOut Gel - Praziquantel 200 mg/ml and Oxfendazole 200 mg/ml
Dose is 47 ml per gallon per day. So...... 9.4 grams of each of the active ingredients per gallon, right?

Wormer Deluxe Powder - 10% Praziquantel and 10% Oxfendazole
Dose is 5 grams per gallon per day. So........ 500 mg of each of the active ingredients per gallon, right?

Am I correct in seeing a MASSIVE difference in the active ingredient for the finished gallon of each? Mostly looking for a math check here I suppose.

I have used WormOut in the past, but just came across the Wormer Deluxe, advertised as a much more "cost effective" water soluble option, due to the same active ingredients. But if the concentration of the active ingredients in the finished product are correct by my calculations, the powder is nowhere near being a much more "cost effective" water soluble option.

Tagging @casportpony due to math skills and common sense logic. Hahaha.

P.S. The powder dosage seems a lot closer to what I would expect from looking at the therapeutic levels of the drugs. The Gel looks like it is massively strong.

I think this one is praziquantel 20 mg/ml and Oxfendazole 20 mg/ml :idunno
View attachment 1632227

That would make a lot more sense. So now the question is why I have:

"Praziquantel 200 mg/ml and Oxfendazole 200 mg/ml" in my notes. Haha. I need to dig out my bottle of the gel to see what it says. Couple years old by this point.

Probably my own error somewhere along the line.

The liquid is ~1000 mg of each drug per gallon, so if you want to use the powder the same way it is 10 grams per gallon. If you do get the powder, get a pocket scale too because most powders, one teaspoon weighs less than 5 grams.
Very true about the scale. Amazon sells extremely accurate digital scales that will measure down to the milligrams. Usually they can do this since the entire measurement range of the scale is only up to 50 or 100 grams on the high end. I have one that I think goes up to 100 grams, and another that goes up to maybe 250? Both extremely accurate.

I dont recommend using a wormer that contains praziquantel unless you're dealing with tapeworms. There are few products on the market that treats tapeworms in poultry, praziquantel being the most effective. You dont want worm resistance in chickens in the future when you actually have to use praziquantel against tapeworms. I've dealt with tapeworms and they arnt easy to get rid as it is.
There are two other wormers that can be mixed in water and are very effective and inexpensive. Wazine is a liquid, but it only gets rid of large roundworms and no other types of roundworms. Dosage is one ounce per one gallon of water for 24 hours only.
The other wormer is Levamisole. It treats all types of poultry roundworms, but not tapeworms. It's a soluble powder mixed in water for 3 days with a 9 day egg withdrawal period. I lost my notes on the dosage, I'm sure @casportpony can come up with the dosage. :)

Okay, that makes alot of sense, so I'll just get the deluxe powder as a backup for tapeworms (in case of an infestation) and go with the Levamisole as their preventative. Thank you Dawg. And thank you for looking into the dosage for me Casport.:):):)

Well I haven't noticed any that looks like that, and I have been paying attention. When spring hits and right before winter are when I do their worming preventions and I always try to look for any signs of that.

Well I haven't noticed any that looks like that, and I have been paying attention. When spring hits and right before winter are when I do their worming preventions and I always try to look for any signs of that.
Ditto. Spring time is worm time. I just finished worming my birds this morning. I worm once a month due to our soil conditions and my birds are penned most the time.

Back
Top Bottom