WORMER?

TexasChickenLady

In the Brooder
11 Years
Jul 24, 2008
Pampa, Texas
OK MY CHICKENS HOCKY LOOKS A LIL RUNNY. IT'S HOT HERE IS IT DUE TO HEAT? NOT ALL OF THEM HAVE RUNNY HOCKY THOUGH. WHAT IS THE *****BEST***** WORMER FOR A SMALL FLOCK? I NEED THE NAME AND WHERE TO GET IT. TRACTOR SUPPY, GEEBOS MAYBE? OR ONLINE WHAT IS THE BEST ONLINE PLACE TO GET ALL I NEED FOR MEDS TO KEEP ON HAND! IS IT OK TO WORM EVEN IF I DONT SEEN WORMS? READING ALL THESE FORUMS HAVE ME SCARED THAT IM NOT DOING ENOUGH. IF I DONT SEE WORMS CAN I PUT SOME CAYENNE PEPPER IN THE WATER JUST AS A PREVENTIVE? ALSO, I HAVE 4 NEW BANTAM HENS WHO ARE LAYING HOWEVER THEY DONT HAVE FEATHERS ON THIER NECKS OR BELLY. WHY WHATS WRONG? IM KEEPING THEM SEPERATE. WHAT CAN I DO TO GET THIER FEATHERS BACK? HOW LONG TO I KEEP THEM IN QUARANTINE? 30 DAYS? AFTER THAT AND NOTHING IS OBVIOUS CAN I PUT THEM IN W/ THE OTHERS? I NEED TO GET A BOOK TO TELL THE SIGNS OF SICKNESSES. SORRY TO WRITE A BOOK. BUT IM GOING NUTS TRYN TO TELL MYSELF MY CHICKENS ARE FINE. I KEEP THEM DRY- CLEAN- FED -WATERED- THEY ARE BUFF ORPS ANF NATRALLY LOOK BIG BUT WHAT IF THEY ARE TO SKINNY? HOW MUCH SHOULD THEY WEIGH AT 18 WKS? I FEED TWICE A DAY AND THE AM FEEDING KEEPS THEM BUSY ALL DAY BECAUSE THEY SCRATCH IT AROUND. SOMEONE TELL ME TO SHUT UP!
he.gif

Here is some advice from featherfanciers Doc about wormers

The Eprinex is a good Round Worm Wormer and thats about it. It will get the external parasites as well. Because it is a relatively new product I am sure that it is doing a good job of taking care of the Lice and Mites. Most of the time they wear out due to over use.

Chickens get more types of worms than just Round Worms. I would suggest that you use the Piperazine Wormer once per month in the drinking water. Proper dosage would be 1 Tablespoon per gallon for the 17 % product and 1 1/2 Teaspoons per Gallon for the 34 % product. Give for 1 Day. May be repeated if necessary in 10 days.

I would also consider giving Levasole in the drinking water for 1 to 3 days once every 3 months. I would also consider using the Valbazen as an oral drench at least once every 3 to 4 months.

Using the above products covers all the worms that your chickens may get. Tape Worms. Round Worms, Gape Worms, Cecal Worms and Capillary Worms.

In most cases worms can be seen in the droppings. Get yourself a descent magnifying glass and you should be able to see them better if they are present

Some people never worm their chickens.

This is also from Dr Peter Brown from featherfanciers

Presently there are NO WORMERS OR MEDICATIONS OTHER THAN AMPROL that can be given to chickens that are in egg production for human consumption and still eat the eggs. This is just a fact and there are no wormers except the Wazine Brand of Piperazine that have a label on them for Chickens in the first place. All wormers presently being used ( piperazine excepted ) are wormers that are used on other species such as hogs, and cattle.

Some people will tell you that it is two weeks or three weeks, this is just a persons opinion and not a scientific fact with any research data to back it up. The fact is there are no established withdrawal times for these type products. If you choose to eat the eggs that is up to you.

Last edited:
Thanks chickenzoo, say don't mean to get off topic but my husband and I are from Middleburg moved away bout' 3 years ago:( Have you heard of Masters acounting? Well thats my inlaws:D Well thanks on the wormer advice!-Donna
Quote:

Some people never worm their chickens, and are fine. I have had problems with worms on my property and did not know it until I had very sick chickens. My chickens are more pets than egg machines, so I do not mind waiting a few weeks or month or so to eat eggs. Here in Fl the weather plays a big part, rain,heat and Humidity play a role in my problems here. Any place that stays wet a lot is going to have problems sooner or later.
big_smile.png

I have never wormed ANY of my chickens, in fact i don't know if you need to or not. Mine are really healthy and free range during the day. I check their poo almost everyday just to be sure everyones still going strong. If the issue ever came up i would address it immediately but for now they are just fine. most of my flock i have had since they were day old chicks and are well over a year now. Biggest issue i have ever had with mine was mites which was taken care of immediately as well. JMO

Back
Top Bottom