Worming a mixed flock? Need some input...

A liter of Wormout Gel is about the same price as a liter of Safeguard. One thing I need to do is to find some info wormers in it. Lots of info on Praziquantel, and I'm pretty sure the dose is in the 10 mg/kg range, not sure about the other drug.

-Kathy

It looks like the Aquasol may be about 10x more concentrated (it has 200 mg of fenbendazole per ml) compared to the Wormout product, which has 20 mg each of praziquantel & oxfendazole per ml, but without comparing dosing rates, that's not a definitive answer. Still, if a liter of Aquasol ends up going 10 times farther than a liter of Wormout, the price per dose is 1/10th the cost, even if the jugs cost the same. I think I'm going to create an account with the Best Vet Supply place so I can see their pricing. But I only see gallons for sale on their site, not liters, so may have to try giving it to goats myself.

I seem to recall Zaz was treating everything at her house, including all the dogs
wink.png

You're correct, AquaSol is 10x more concentrated than WormOut Gel, which is why I'd like to find proper dosing info on it.

-Kathy

Last edited:
The Aquasol is 10x more concentrated than the praziquantel stuff.

I just did the online registration stuff, but got a message that they will contact me when my account is approved. Good grief! Apparently no one actually wants to SELL stuff
he.gif

Edited to remove erroneous quote

Last edited:
You're correct, it is 10x more concentrated than AquaSol, which is why I'd like to find proper dosing info on it.

-Kathy

No, no, the other way around... the Aquasol is 10x more concentrated than the praziquantel stuff.

I just did the online registration stuff, but got a message that they will contact me when my account is approved.  Good grief!  Apparently no one actually wants to SELL stuff :he

Sorry! I knew what you meant, but typed it bassackwards. Will edit my post and have some coffee! Thanks or correcting my mistake.

-Kathy

More coffee -- sounds like pure genius... wish we all lived close enough to hash this stuff out over coffee at the kitchen table
highfive.gif

But we are scattered all over the world
frow.gif

Warning, nerd alert, this post refers to math...

Okay @casportpony , the Oxzol stuff you found ( http://www.vetsfarma.com/poultry3.html is interesting. It's apparently a slightly different strength:

"Liquid contains Oxfendazole I.P.(Vet ) 2.265 % w/v"

What tipped me off was the poultry dose:

"Poultry 10 mg per kg b.wt. or 1 ml per 2.25 kg b.wt."

I think (but will not guarantee, running on insufficient sleep and too much coffee) that the oxfendazole concentration in the Wormout Gel, at 20 mg/ml is a straight 2%, rather than 2.265%? You need to check my math here. And I am not exactly allowing for weights versus with great precision
wink.png
I think the product description on the Wormout Gel has more info on recommended dosages.

I also thought this statement was interesting:

"Oxzol v/s Fenbendazole
Oxfendazole is a sulphoxide identical to the sulphoxide metabolite of fenbendazole, both are known to be anthelmintically active and metabolically interconvertible. Much of fenbendazole’s anthelmintic activity is attributed to oxfendazole, the latter being more potent."

If this statement is correct, then there is likely not the "rotating wormers" benefit to using oxfendazole as an alternative to fenbendazole. So the only "rotating wormers" benefit would derive from the addition of the praziquantel in the Wormout Gel -- though that could be significant, nonetheless.

Okay, I killed off the quote in Post #23, you might want to just delete the quote from Post #24 also.

Too funny -- the math is so easy to get turned around, even for us math nerdish-types...

Back
Top Bottom