Worming Animals

ametauss

Songster
11 Years
Aug 20, 2008
Shepherdsville, KY
I cannot locate the post that I read regarding worming goats but it had the name of a horse wormer that was recommended.... The person said something about using it on other animals as well...

I'd like to know what it is and if you can use the topical on dogs and cats and is it still 1cc per 22 pounds??

Ann Marie

It's pour on cattle dewormer (ivermec), I think that you are describing. It can be used off-label on goats and chickens (with egg withdrawl).

I wouldn't use it on dogs or cats - ivermec can be toxic to them and should only be administered under vet supervision.

Ivromectin (ivromec) comes in many forms from injectable to paste to pill form. Ivromectin is the main ingredient in dog heartwormer (it's what prevents and kills heartworms). It does have a wide range of uses, but its best to talk to your vet first about dosaging, but some on here may give you the right dosage. I use the paste form. You should NOT give it to herding breeds of dogs- it has been thought that the merle gene in most herding breeds somehow interacts wrongly with ivromectin and has actually killed dogs (and cats). My house call vet told me I can give it to cats as well, but to not give it to siameses/siamese mixs, persians or any other of the cats that can come in blue eyed form (this includes farm mutt cats). Two of my indoor cats are siamese mixes so I dont even attempt to try to give it to them. I give my moms only outdoor cat a once a month half pea dosage of Ivromectin paste (horse wormer), ticks fall off, fleas stay off of him, and he starts gaining weight again (because internal worms have been irradciated). I swear by the stuff. Used it in my rabbitry as well to keep worms and cocci away used it as a preventative and a treatment.
smile.png
You have to be very very careful with the dosage though.

The injectable can be used too. It's just a different percentage so you have to account for that when figuring the dose. Ivermectin is very safe for some animals but not for others. The dosage for cats and dogs is very very small. You need to be able to measure exactly with a very small syringe.

Ivomec makes a sheep drench which you use the same dosage for as goats. I find this easiest to use.... except that it's not Ivomec+ so does not cover liver flukes which exist where I live.

If at all possible, try and find an on-lable use (Safeguard is one) for your goats. You can then move to off label uses (like Ivermectin injectible) when you have a confirmed problem with worms. Fecal tests are very cheap, far less expensive than buying dewormer when you don't need it.

Thanks for the info....

I guess since one of my dogs is part aust shep that counts as a herding dog and a no-no for Ivomec

I buy the cat and dog stuff from on-line since it's less expensive and was looking for maybe an even cheaper way to go....

Thanks,
Ann Marie

I just went through this , the most recommended was injectable Ivromectin, given orally , 1cc for every 30 pounds.

This advice was given to me by a very respected veterinarian in my area. He said it works on a wider range of parasites then the normal "goat" dewormer you can get at your feed store.

You can give injectable orally. It's the same as the pour on just a different concentration. We use the injectable ivermectin topically for mites on guinea pigs and orally for internal parasites. It's just pure ivermectin suspended in an inert solution.

Back
Top Bottom