worming guineas

I get my DE at a health food store. I always look for the package to say "Food Grade."

I mix a heaping Tablespoon full in a gallon of feed and give that to them 3 days in a row, every month. I also mix a TBL. in a glass of water and drink it myself.
It's not only good for parasites, it has Silica in it. That's something many people are deficient in. Whenever I get a flare-up of Bursitis DE takes care of it in one day.

I also dust the chicken coop floor and nest boxes before adding new straw.

Just be careful that it never gets in your eyes or your birds eyes.
I even mix a little in my dogs food. Never have any of my animals had worms.
It's wonderful stuff!

I worm my Guineas with Safeguard liquid or paste orally. The dose I use is 0.23ml per pound for five days.

-Kathy

Kathy, I am new to BYC and saw your answer about deworming guineas. I have three very tame pea-chicks about 3 months old, and 7 very wild keets (hatched them ourselves but they are still wild) about 4 months old, in the same run with a coop. I dewormed the peas easily by giving them oral Fenbendazole at a dose of 50mg/kg, but then I attempted to deworm the guineas...and it didn't go very well. I waited until after dark when they were roosting in their run, and usually they are very docile and let me handle them when they are roosting. Not so much this time. There was a lot of horrible flapping and dust raising, and I did not get a single guinea dewormed, and one struggled and hurt his leg. Not going to happen giving dewormer orally. Do you throw a towel over them? How do you manage it!? Thank you for your help.

Kathy, I am new to BYC and saw your answer about deworming guineas. I have three very tame pea-chicks about 3 months old, and 7 very wild keets (hatched them ourselves but they are still wild) about 4 months old, in the same run with a coop. I dewormed the peas easily by giving them oral Fenbendazole at a dose of 50mg/kg, but then I attempted to deworm the guineas...and it didn't go very well. I waited until after dark when they were roosting in their run, and usually they are very docile and let me handle them when they are roosting. Not so much this time. There was a lot of horrible flapping and dust raising, and I did not get a single guinea dewormed, and one struggled and hurt his leg. Not going to happen giving dewormer orally. Do you throw a towel over them? How do you manage it!? Thank you for your help.
Welcome to BYC! Can you get a net?

-Kathy

Yes I have a net, however I do not want to stress them and cause them to hurt themselves as this is what happened last night. I just wondered if there is a trick to handling them. I tried to do it at night when they are generally docile, but that didn't work. He is still limping today and he has isolated himself from the rest of the flock and is not eating. I am pretty bummed out that I caused this to happen.

Yes I have a net, however I do not want to stress them and cause them to hurt themselves as this is what happened last night. I just wondered if there is a trick to handling them. I tried to do it at night when they are generally docile, but that didn't work. He is still limping today and he has isolated himself from the rest of the flock and is not eating. I am pretty bummed out that I caused this to happen.
Catching them can be tricky. You could try mixing the Safeguard in their food maybe? Keep us posted on how the one is doing.

-Kathy

Back
Top Bottom