Worming question

Quote:
Maybe the garlic passes to the eggs?
idunno.gif

Here's a link to an interesting article on herbal remedies for use in parrots:
http://www.landofvos.com/articles/kitchen5.html

It mentions garlic as an anti-parasitic herb, but also advises caution. Some of this, I believe, is us being conservative-- garlic is a very potent herb, and like onions can cause a terrible anemia in dogs and cats. Does it do the same in birds? Probably not, but no one really wants to find out.

The only fact-based reason for being careful with garlic quantities is it's known to make the eggs taste funny.
smile.png

Squash (pumpkins included) seeds act as a wormer either raw right out of the pumpkin or you can dry them. I dried a bunch last fall, and when I had a bird with worms I gave her some ground squash seeds mixed with ground corn once and that seemed to have cleared it up quickly.

ahh....duh....well my only hen who gets it, is getting it to help boost her immune system after a round of Baytril. She's not laying (hasn't in almost 2.5 wks) so no worries about her taste yet.

From what I've read pumpkin and the other 'natural' remedies for worms is really only of use before they have a severe infestation (ie, shedding worms actively) as a preventative.

So, you might not really be seeing results for the pumpkin because it's just not powerful enough to knock out the problem.

I would use the Ivermectin if you're still finding worms in the feces. Surely there's got to be some dosage info on the forums here somewhere! Good luck!

Quote:
What form of Ivermectin do you use, I have some horse paste but don't know how I would administer that.

I searched BYC and found this info, not sure if it's for the horse Ivermectin, I would google it and make sure they don't have varying degrees of dilution in their formulas.

Quote:

Back
Top Bottom