Worming with Valbazen

Reading this feed regarding the use of Valbazen. I tried Wazine several weeks ago and just saw more round worms this morning in one hen. I'll try Wazine again tomorrow in the waterer. Should I try Valbazen 10 days following the Wazine. And if so do I purchase "VALBAZEN SUSP 500ML" Having difficulty finding a smaller bottle. I believe this one hen who is a rescue chicken has a lot of worms. She passed them several weeks ago and as I said did again this morning. Can anyone offer the safesty advice possible for her. She is an Easter Egger. thanks!

I think you can buy Valbazen from First State Vet Supply. I've never ordered from them, here's a link:
http://www.firststatevetsupply.com/store2/valbazen.html
Forget the wazine. Once you get the valbazen, go ahead and dose your hen with it. Then repeat again in 10 days. Consider dosing all your chickens since roundworm eggs were deposited onto your soil via feces from the infected hen several weeks ago.

I plan to dose all chickens. Just read so many posts about not starting with valbazen because it could kill the chicken if they had a lot or worms. I will order some today. I did put wazine in the water last night for first thing this morning. Just didn't want to wait. So I'll wait the 10 days and then follow up with the valbazen. Hopefully that will kill them all. That will work as a follow up wouldn't it???

I keep DE in the run area and dusting boxes as maintenance. I'm thinking since we've had so much rain and humidity that it's making the conditions just right for parasites. Just my thought. I keep their run and coop very clean. Thanks so much for your input - it's greatly appreciated. I want to rid her/all of these nasty things.

I plan to dose all chickens. Just read so many posts about not starting with valbazen because it could kill the chicken if they had a lot or worms. I will order some today. I did put wazine in the water last night for first thing this morning. Just didn't want to wait. So I'll wait the 10 days and then follow up with the valbazen. Hopefully that will kill them all. That will work as a follow up wouldn't it???

I keep DE in the run area and dusting boxes as maintenance. I'm thinking since we've had so much rain and humidity that it's making the conditions just right for parasites. Just my thought. I keep their run and coop very clean. Thanks so much for your input - it's greatly appreciated. I want to rid her/all of these nasty things.
It would be better to use the valbazen instead of wazine. Wazine only treats large roundworms. If there's an infestation of large roundworms and you use wazine, there's a risk of intestinal blockage causing toxic dead worm overload which can kill the chicken. Valbazen kills all types of worms that chickens can get. The difference is that valbazen slowly kills worms over several days, preventing toxic dead worm overload. It is the safest wormer that can be given to chickens. Since you've already used the wazine, treat with valbazen in 10 days. Then consider a regular worming schedule, perhaps every 6 months or as you see fit. Warm and wet or moist soil is very condusive for all types of parasites, this why a regular worming schedule should be done. Keeping everything as dry as possible is best, especially inside coops. Sometimes it's almost impossible to keep runs and pens dry. You can put sand in your run or pen. Sand dries quicker than dirt, absorbs water, and wont wash away in a downpour like dirt (like a beach.) Sand also cuts back on the insect/parasite population and is easier to scoop poop. A pickup truck load of sand is cheaper than a 40 pound sack of DE. DE is ineffective wet until it dries. Also consider using valbazen as your primary wormer with safeguard liquid goat wormer in rotation with valbazen.

Thanks so much for that info. We have had so much rain that their run has been wet. We just put some sand down as someone else told me they use it and that it helps tremendously. Where the warm runs down from the roof was especially messy/muddy and that is now gone! I'm getting more sand. Their coop was well built and is never wet. They have a wonderful house so I don't have concerns there. Wazine was in water yesterday and when I scraped the dropping board this morning I noticed more worms from where my EE roosted last night. I'm very concerned but I hope I'm on the right track on eliminating the worms. I'm going to check TSC to see if they carry the Valbazen and if not I'll order it. Do you put it in their water? Is the ration marked on the bottle? Just wondering becasue with other products used for chickens you have to do determine the proper dosage as it's sometimes labeled for other animals or large flocks. We only have 6 chickens. Use 1 gallon waters and to 5 gallon buckets with nipples. I pull those up when worming. And no, I have done worming as a regular routine. I've read mixed reviews about that as well. However, I believe I will now as I know this takes a toll on there system and certainly don't want any of them ill. What do you recommended as a regular worming schedule? Also, I plan to wait the 10 days and use the Valbazen. At that point will the worms be gone? Or do I follow up in another 10 days? I want to make sure they are free of these nasty things before any start to molt.

what is "safeguard liquid goat wormer"? And what exactly do you mean when you say "in rotation with the valbazen". Not knowing the schedule for worming, let's say I do it every 6 mths, in between that period use "safequard liquid goat wormer"? How often? And I would imagine you can't eat the eggs during this period either.

For the life of me I can't figure out why there aren't more "chicken specific" products. We have to buy swine or other farm animal products and run the dosage to the appropriate levels. You'd think the industry would see the need for these products for poultry.

Very much appreciate your feedback here!

CityChicker, before you use Valbazen, you'll first want to get some Wazine from TSC and kill all the round worms in your chickens.  Valbazen will kill ALL worms, but killing roundworms and others at the same time more than likely will overload your chickens' ability to dispose of them from their overloaded system.  That could kill your chickens. 

For more information on this, read:  https://www.backyardchickens.com/forum/viewtopic.php?id=385238

WORMING
YOUR CHICKENS   -    FROM THE GOSPEL of JAMES (Chapter dawg53 1-2-3)

1. Wazine17  - two ounces in two gallons of water for one day - dump eggs for two weeks

...Ten days later:

2. Valbazen -one half cc/ml for standard size chickens, one quarter cc/ml for smaller chickens including silkies. You can use an oral syringe to squirt it down their throats individually or you can inject it into a small piece of bread and give each chicken a piece of bread....they gobble it up.  - dump the eggs for two weeks

3. ...after a couple of days of using each of both wormers....give your chickens plain yogurt or buttermilk(probiotics), canned beef cat food (extra protein) with scrambled eggs all mixed in their feed and give it to them to build up their immune systems, do this about 3 days in a row. Then you'll have healthy, happy chickens lol.

The next time you worm,say in about 6 months or whenever you see fit...you can use the Valbazen first, no need to use the Wazine 17 unless you want to. Please PM anytime and I'll be happy to help you with worming. Jim.

Making buttermilk (joebryant):

Mine love it, and its lactic acid and bacteria culture is super healthy for them and YOU.

I make it a gallon at a time:

Buy a quart of buttermilk, pour it into a large container with a gallon of milk.  Let the five quarts sit at room temperature for 24 hours, stirring occasionally, and you'll have five quarts.  Save a quart to use with another gallon of milk later.

BTW, buttermilk will keep for a very long time in the refrigerator.

Store in a glass container(s).

Hi thanks fortune info. My big red died today I think it was gape worm she was gasping wheezy five hours later gone. We have a lot of rain lately the run is gravel but wet. We are building a coop with a cement pad but I read it shouldn't be. I have pepercillin 52 live in Canada. Do I treat all my chickens they are over a year old. P,ease I need your help thanks

I talked to a vet in sault Michigan we live in sault Canada and they told me if I deworm my chickens we can't ever eat the eggs is that true

Back
Top Bottom