Maggots? Please help! Update

jenniferrose

Chirping
5 Years
Mar 15, 2015
Our barred rock who is about 3 year old has been acting weird for a couple days, slower than normal, not coming for treats, etc. tonight she didn’t get up in the coop with the rest of the flock and we noticed in her bottom what look like little worms. Hundreds of them (many tiny - the size of a grain of salt). We put her on a towel for a bit and when she pooped some fell out (see picture). What is going on?!? We’ve had hens for 5+ years and never experienced anything like this. We plan to check the rest of our girls tomorrow - could this be an infestation?!? Any advice would be appreciated. Thank you.

Attachments

• F070241E-E0C3-43B1-9F98-4F6A319E1EFC.jpeg
    F070241E-E0C3-43B1-9F98-4F6A319E1EFC.jpeg
    504.5 KB · Views: 7
  • F3C17D5A-EBEE-4BA6-BB2C-6923161995BD.jpeg
    F3C17D5A-EBEE-4BA6-BB2C-6923161995BD.jpeg
    491.3 KB · Views: 10
Those are maggots. It sounds as though she has flystrike, and with the weather warming up it's all the more likely.

First, get on some gloves, this is going to be unpleasant, and you don't want maggots on your hand, trust me.

Bring her inside and put her in the tub (or a bucket) with warm water and epsom salts. If you have any iodine use that as well, as it kills maggots. Make sure she's for the most part submerged, and that her entire rear is underwater. Use soap if you have nothing else, it won't hurt her.

Remove all visible maggots and soak her well. Keep her in the tub until you can't see any live maggots. Keep her under a heat lamp in a clean box with a towel, (or in the hot water cupboard if you don't have a lamp), and spray anywhere you've seen maggots with blukote or iodine.

If you see any live maggots after bathing her (on the towel or on her body) give her another bath)

Trim the feathers around her vent back with scissors after the first bath, it'll make inspecting the area way easier. Make sure her vent stays clean! If you notice any poop, wipe it away, it'll feed the maggots.

Good luck! Let us know how she goes,

Can this have an effect in our other girls? We have a few who have poop clumps near their butt feathers - we’ve been trying to keep them clean but they are STUCK. I didn’t think to cut them. Well definitely check them tomorrow.

Can this have an effect in our other girls? We have a few who have poop clumps near their butt feathers - we’ve been trying to keep them clean but they are STUCK. I didn’t think to cut them. Well definitely check them tomorrow.

As long as you follow the steps I've suggested for your hen she will be ok.

As for the others, as long as you keep the coop clean and dry, there will be nothing to attract flies. As it starts to warm up the coop will need regular cleaning.

It's unlikely any of your other girls are affected, although if they have poopy butts it may be worth worming them. Check them over just to be safe.

Our barred rock who is about 3 year old has been acting weird for a couple days, slower than normal, not coming for treats, etc. tonight she didn’t get up in the coop with the rest of the flock and we noticed in her bottom what look like little worms. Hundreds of them (many tiny - the size of a grain of salt). We put her on a towel for a bit and when she pooped some fell out (see picture). What is going on?!? We’ve had hens for 5+ years and never experienced anything like this. We plan to check the rest of our girls tomorrow - could this be an infestation?!? Any advice would be appreciated. Thank you.
Eating maggots or maggot-infested foods can cause bacterial poisoning. Many foods that have maggots are not safe to eat, particularly if the larvae have been in contact with the feces. ... It is common for maggots to become infected with the bacteria Salmonella enteritidis and Escherichia coli.

Eating maggots or maggot-infested foods can cause bacterial poisoning. Many foods that have maggots are not safe to eat, particularly if the larvae have been in contact with the feces. ... It is common for maggots to become infected with the bacteria Salmonella enteritidis and Escherichia coli.
Thank you. We don’t eat our chickens and we don’t have a garden right now. Could eggs be a concern? I don’t think she has layed recently.

Well we rinsed her off well last night and went this morning to get al the stuff to soak her and clean the maggots but she is so miserable and seems close to dying. She also has this coming out of her vent. What is this?!?! What did we miss?!? I’m so sad to lose our girl but don’t know what we can do.

Attachments

• 304D82A2-EB22-4765-96A9-EB0C2C23D152.jpeg
    304D82A2-EB22-4765-96A9-EB0C2C23D152.jpeg
    674.9 KB · Views: 11
Well we rinsed her off well last night and went this morning to get al the stuff to soak her and clean the maggots but she is so miserable and seems close to dying. She also has this coming out of her vent. What is this?!?! What did we miss?!? I’m so sad to lose our girl but don’t know what we can do.

It looks like she had a prolapse that attracted flies. If there are maggots inside of her chances are she won't survive. Give her some electrolytes and make sure she is cleaned and fed. She has a chance of survival, but you need to get every maggot you can off of her.

Should try prolapse be drained or anything? We will give her some Gatorade and see if we see any more maggots. We have no idea if they are inside of her.

Should try prolapse be drained or anything? We will give her some Gatorade and see if we see any more maggots. We have no idea if they are inside of her.

Prolapse is treatable, but it's very important you get her clean and dry. Use a hairdryer after bathing her (instead of towel drying as it's less effective) and make sure is completely dry and clean.

Without a physical exam I can't tell if it is definitely a prolapse, but it seems most likely.

Here's prolapse step by step treatment. Make sure she is thoroughly cleaned and dry, and there are no visible maggots before you start. I'd also suggest trimming or plucking her vent feathers to make it easier.

1. Clean very thoroughly and apply Vetericyn generously.
( https://www.amazon.com/Vetericyn-Pl...61&imprToken=N2M00UL.fFCGEazIlPx9lg&slotNum=0 )
2. Push the prolapse back into the vent. As long as there are no visible maggots or injuries to the vent, the prolapse (if I'm right and it is one) should go back in properly.
3. Apply an anti inflammatory cream such as hydrocortisone, as well as resuming Veteriycn
4. Keep her warm, clean and away from the rest of the flock, it make take a couple of times pushing the prolapse back in, but it will likely fix it.

Hopefully she will pull through. When she is bathed and dried could you get another pic of the vent? I can't tell if it is discoloured from dirt or infection.

Back
Top Bottom