Worms yuck. (Images... be warned)

sawilliams

Songster
Nov 12, 2015
Nor Cal
Started treatment with valbazen yesterday on my flock of 11 girls. I had started Strike III about 2 weeks ago becuase I knew something was up just wasn't sure what exactly.

Couple of watery and strange looking poops lately, I occasionally use a stick to sift through to make sure nothing looks abnormal. A few days ago I started seeing what looked like white seeds in someone poop, after further research I discovered it was tape worm and of course Strike III doesn't treat tape... so after more research I settled on Valbazen.

I've been watching the chickens and checking dropping all day today to make sure things are going well.

I've found a round worms, tape segments, possible gape worms, and one I can't think of the name is a really tiny almost clear one, but they are dead and most of them were stiff like wires when I found them. I don't know why but it's sort of exciting seeing all these dead things, and knowing that they are no longer hurting my girls.

I had I picture of the tape segments and the round worm but I must have deleted them (oops).. but here is the tapeworm I just found

I feel bad now knowing that my girls were sick but they seemed fine. I feel even worse becuase I had one pullet she's about 8-9 months now have never gotten a red comb,to the piont it seemed maybe it was just normal for her, but now only a day after treatment she finally had red in her comb... I'm just glad the treatment is working... can't wait for them to be off the meds so I can have eggs again.

tapeworm segments so gross

Not the first picture I had but maybe a round worm
And I don't know if you can see it here but all the poops have the tiny hair like things. I'm guessing another type of worm

Started treatment with valbazen yesterday on my flock of 11 girls. I had started Strike III about 2 weeks ago becuase I knew something was up just wasn't sure what exactly.

Couple of watery and strange looking poops lately, I occasionally use a stick to sift through to make sure nothing looks abnormal. A few days ago I started seeing what looked like white seeds in someone poop, after further research I discovered it was tape worm and of course Strike III doesn't treat tape... so after more research I settled on Valbazen.

I've been watching the chickens and checking dropping all day today to make sure things are going well.

I've found a round worms, tape segments, possible gape worms, and one I can't think of the name is a really tiny almost clear one, but they are dead and most of them were stiff like wires when I found them. I don't know why but it's sort of exciting seeing all these dead things, and knowing that they are no longer hurting my girls.

I had I picture of the tape segments and the round worm but I must have deleted them (oops).. but here is the tapeworm I just found
I feel bad now knowing that my girls were sick but they seemed fine. I feel even worse becuase I had one pullet she's about 8-9 months now have never gotten a red comb,to the piont it seemed maybe it was just normal for her, but now only a day after treatment she finally had red in her comb... I'm just glad the treatment is working... can't wait for them to be off the meds so I can have eggs again.

tapeworm segments so gross

Not the first picture I had but maybe a round worm
And I don't know if you can see it here but all the poops have the tiny hair like things. I'm guessing another type of worm
Thanks for sharing! What's your plan?

-Kathy

Thank you MrsB. and Kathy.

Kathy right now the plan is 1/2 cc (= 1/2ml) Valbazen each on day 1. Retreat day 10 (standard treatment). Hopefully that takes care of everything, if not there is another zemicten? Gold I'll use of needed 10 days after the last treatment. But the treatment seems to be working and that's what's important.

There isn't much I can do about the run right now, I'm not letting them free-range the yard at the moment to limit spread in my soil and I hope to get so rocks over to the coop and run soon to help with the water build up since it's been raining. I do figure I will have to retreat in the spring regardless of symptoms just becuase it had been so wet this season. Need to clean out the coop too, I had planned to today but my little dog got sick so I had to take her to the vet instead. But the girls are already looking much better, not that they looked sick but they look a lot better then they did.

Back
Top Bottom