Worms!!!

I know nothing about this other than the link above and here’s what the last step after cleaning was:
Spray Vetericyn Wound & Infection treatment on the area affected by flystrike. This step may obviate the need for antibiotics in many cases of flystrike. Avoid ointments as maggots appreciate a moist, goopy, warm environment.

yes I think that since its not a wound the maggots are on that I might not need the antibiotic but im not sure but ok thank you

Sorry for the late reply - busy with toddler bedtime - Do as Dobie said. No need to worry, your hen will be okay!

oh that's ok😰 shwwwwww were done shes in bed in crate in bathroom. I mean it takes a gooooood husband to pick maggots off his wifes hens caboose😂😍
I freeked out and he was like its ok I will do it. we soaked her in a warm slightly soapy bath for probably 15 or so minutes. I used a squirt bottle and squrted her bottom off some while she was in the water. rubbed my hand across her bottom a few times in the water I had a glove on. then hubby picked a couple off. there wasn't a bunch thank GOD that we could tell he had a flashlight and all so were hoping we got them all. well see in the morning. thank you all for your help😘

You need to keep her butt clean. I was feeding my chickens mealworms and it gave them diarrhea and hence dirty butts, but it was cold so no flies to deal with.
Anyway, reassess her bottom, is the skin inflamed? I would as Dobie recommended get some Vetericyn and spray there as it will also make it less hospitable to flies while she recovers.

20200328_133036.jpg
she is content with being inside haha

ok I had to get her more of the med from the vet she is still acting and making noises when she poops, there has got to be something going on since the med only helps for a short time. could it be her food? she has layer pellets and snack stuff like bread oatmeal crackers regular snack stuff?

Back
Top Bottom