Worst duck mum ever or knew what she was doing?

Jen1979

Songster
7 Years
Sep 14, 2013
Perth Hills, Western Australia
Some of our eggs are due to hatch today. I just saw one of the ducks go to quite a big effort (climbing over the other ducks) to get to a particular egg. Suddenly she pecked at it, made a hole in it, picked it up with her bill and bolted off to the far end of the enclosure with it.

I panicked and kind of tan after her like "nooo what are you doing!?" And she dropped it and told me in no uncertain terms to back off!

When she walked away I picked up the egg and it was all yolk inside with a black bit in it which I assume was the embryo, and it smelled really bad.

So, did she actually know what she was doing and was removing bad eggs from the nest? Or is she some sot of terrible duck mum who's going to be a danger to the rest of the eggs and any ducklings that hatch? :/

Some of our eggs are due to hatch today. I just saw one of the ducks go to quite a big effort (climbing over the other ducks) to get to a particular egg. Suddenly she pecked at it, made a hole in it, picked it up with her bill and bolted off to the far end of the enclosure with it.

I panicked and kind of tan after her like "nooo what are you doing!?" And she dropped it and told me in no uncertain terms to back off!

When she walked away I picked up the egg and it was all yolk inside with a black bit in it which I assume was the embryo, and it smelled really bad.

So, did she actually know what she was doing and was removing bad eggs from the nest? Or is she some sot of terrible duck mum who's going to be a danger to the rest of the eggs and any ducklings that hatch?
hmm.png
She may have smelled it right before it was going to blow. Hopefully she won't do that with a live duckling inside. keep an eye on her. Sometimes new moms can be hard to figure out and some can freak out when ducklings begin to hatch.

Thanks so much. Right, I'll definitely keep an eye on her then! She's been by far the most committed to the eggs so far (and the most aggressive). We have 3 ducks all broody and all sitting at the same time. I'll watch her to make sure she doesn't freak out.

I think there are some other bad eggs in there but I can't get close enough with 3 ducks trying to bite me to have a good look! :/

Back
Top Bottom