Would be grateful for any advice

DebbieB50

Hatching
Jan 7, 2021
Hello,I have a duck who is approx 6/7 mths old.She laid two eggs recently & hasn’t been herself since,although weather conditions are freezing here I’m not sure if that is why she isn’t herself.We keep two ducks ( male & female) together in a small wooden chicken house with shavings for bedding. Although they usually seem very happy in there last couple of nights it’s been -5 outdoors. This morning I went out to see them to let them out & she just stood there looking sorry for herself so I have brought her indoors & noticed her stomach making loud noises.I’m wondering if this could be colic or something similar? She is drinking water but not really eating much.I cooked some white rice & added some peas & chopped tomatoes in it. She has only pecked a little of it. Does anyone know what could be wrong please?

If it is that cold you need straw and lots of it, not just shavings for bedding. Straw is a better insulator and will keep them warm.

All of her symptoms are suggestive of minor egg binding. This is a common problem with new layers since oftentimes they're system produces odd-shaped or soft-shelled eggs. Trying to expel a softshell egg is often difficult, and stressful for them, but fortunately, most often the problem resolves itself. To get an idea of whether this is the current problem, you may lube your finger up with mineral oil, coconut oil, K-Y jelly, or vegetable oil, and slowly insert your finger into her vent, in most cases, you will be able to feel the egg. Alternatively, you can gently palpate her abdominal area, it may look bloated, and feel hard if she is trying to expel an egg.

If you feel an egg, or her abdominal area feels bloated, and a little hard there are things you can do to promote the excursion of the egg. One being the administration of a calcium supplement; tums can be ground up and mixed with water, and dripped along her bill, or, a product called calcium gluconate 23% can be found at most feed stores, you can orally dose her with 1ml of the mixture. Keeping her hydrated, in a warm, humidified room, may also prove beneficial.

Thank you both for your replies. I will try to get some straw delivered. Yes,they both have water & feed in their chicken coop. I’m more concerned about the intestinal noises from the female. I have brought them both indoors now as it seems to perk her up a bit more with him around. At least I don’t need to worry about them ibeing cold now as it’s freezing out & just started snowing again. I have read quite a bit on here about my initial problem ( intestinal noises) which appears to be normal? 🙏🏻

All of her symptoms are suggestive of minor egg binding. This is a common problem with new layers since oftentimes they're system produces odd-shaped or soft-shelled eggs. Trying to expel a softshell egg is often difficult, and stressful for them, but fortunately, most often the problem resolves itself. To get an idea of whether this is the current problem, you may lube your finger up with mineral oil, coconut oil, K-Y jelly, or vegetable oil, and slowly insert your finger into her vent, in most cases, you will be able to feel the egg. Alternatively, you can gently palpate her abdominal area, it may look bloated, and feel hard if she is trying to expel an egg.

If you feel an egg, or her abdominal area feels bloated, and a little hard there are things you can do to promote the excursion of the egg. One being the administration of a calcium supplement; tums can be ground up and mixed with water, and dripped along her bill, or, a product called calcium gluconate 23% can be found at most feed stores, you can orally dose her with 1ml of the mixture. Keeping her hydrated, in a warm, humidified room, may also prove beneficial.

Thank you ever so much for your reply ~ I will do as you’ve suggested & ordering a calcium supplement.Again much appreciated reply

Hi Issac 0
I have checked externally & can’t see or feel anything egg 🥚 shaped at all. She is pooping & drinking water.She’s more “quacky” & brighter in herself so maybe she is warmer indoors.I feel awful if she was too cold 😭 I’m keeping them both indoors now until the weather is warmer.I will update you tomorrow.I really appreciate your helpful advice.Thank you -Debs

Thank you both for your replies. I will try to get some straw delivered. Yes,they both have water & feed in their chicken coop. I’m more concerned about the intestinal noises from the female. I have brought them both indoors now as it seems to perk her up a bit more with him around. At least I don’t need to worry about them ibeing cold now as it’s freezing out & just started snowing again. I have read quite a bit on here about my initial problem ( intestinal noises) which appears to be normal? 🙏🏻
You could always try soaking her in the tub too, a warm bath and getting her floating around and off her feet may help her relax enough to pass an egg. Not sure if you have them inside all the time, just be careful not to give a warm bath and then put her back outside so she doesn't get chilled.
Are the sounds you are hearing like a grinding/ crunching sound? I have heard this in my ducks when I've brought them inside and it's quiet in the house. I have always assumed it was their gizzard working and grinding up grit. Lol, I'm not sure if that's what it is but I was very alarmed the 1st time I heard it!!! 😊

Back
Top Bottom