Would it be horrible/illegal if I...

Well here is what Im gathering from property "scars":

A road that leads to my road is called Cattle Barn Rd. It has a very large old barn located on someones property. Ive heard they use to auction off cattle here back awhile ago. Well the edges of this field were sold and houses were built along 2 sides.
Directly behind my neighbors is a trailer home about 200-300 ft off into the woods. Since I have lived here the trailer has fallen to the ground and rotted.
Im thinking whomever lived in that trailer either moved out LONG LONG ago or died and left the land to family who just doesnt care to do anything with it. Its not state land because I have seen large for sale signs (which have grown so old they have fallen to the ground) along the highway side of the land.

C'mon . Keep the wrench in your toolpouch!
lau.gif

Quote:
You should be able to go to your town hall tax assessor's office and find out the owner of the land for sure. You may even be able to do it on line. All you need to know is either the address or plat and lot number. It could be abandoned property, tied up in a probate dispute, state or town liened for taxes, etc. Whatever it is, if it's not posted, inhabited or otherwise patrolled I don't see any reason why your guineas couldn't forage in there and reduce the tick population. Unless and until someone with ownership rights complains, I think you're okay. JMHO

I'd have to agree with pkeeler. Introduction of an exotic species in an effort to purposely establish a wild breeding population (even to control a "pest") has been done by people many, many time throughout history. And time has told that there are always ripple effects years, decades, or even centuries later that have a negatively effect on the environment, local wildlife, or even entire ecosystems. So, one should be wary of taking on such and endeavor, even if you hate and fear ticks as much as I do (we used to live on a property with just such a problem and constant tick checks). You may want to think about quail which are native to all of North America, feed on deer and dog ticks, easily nest and breed in American brush, and most of all are pretty inexpensive.

yeah, i think i'd suggest quail as well. if you are hoping that they will become an established, self-sustaining population, best to go with a bird that you would find there naturally. they may not forage as aggressively, but they will do a good job. and they aren't as loud.

Ok after reading all resposes i must put in my 2 cents, I think the guineas would be a better choice because, by releasing captive birds you will not have much of a risidual effect, and at least where i live you have to be licenced by the state to sell or release a native species which requires meeting several prerequisites having to do mainly with facilies plus a yearly renewal fee and periodical inspection visits from the game warden. The average life span of captive bobwhite quail after release is only 30 days and guineas will last a while longer if you release a dozen young adult guineas you will most likely have about half of that one year later. I would suggest locating an older guinea that has been in a semi-wild state and pen it near a large tree bordering your property and the other property and that bird will give your keets a better chance. The purpose of finding a larger tree near your property would be so that they have a safe place to roost and also a conveinent place to add to the population most likely 6 keets every 2 years initially adding 1 adult and 12 keets. I think your biggest problem will be with preditors the feild sounds like a prime places for coyotes, hawks, and other critters that would make tasty meals of your guineas. Good luck hope this helps.

You definitely need a license from the DNR to raise quail. I would think guineas would be much better. Beware they are pretty loud so you may have neighbor trouble. You could look at the plat and deed books to try to find out who owns it. Sometimes it may be easier to ask forgiveness than permission or just play dumb. The plat and deed books are located in the big county building over on Hammond Drive. Same building where the tag office is located.

Back
Top Bottom