Would Marek's cause extreme thirst and diarrhea?

tofupup

Songster
7 Years
Mar 7, 2012
I have a youngish (under a year old) game hen whom I adopted from the shelter. I assume she and her siblings were not vaccinated against Marek's, as two of them died from it recently.

This hen is now showing sort of similar symptoms -- ruffled feathers, lethargy, reluctance to move, increasingly bad coordination, but the twist is that she is extremely thirsty all the time and the water just shoots out of her butt with undigested seeds in it. (She's eating and drinking well.)

I'm almost positive she has Marek's but am wondering if extreme thirst and watery poops are a classic symptom of something else? I've never seen a chicken drink so much. She's just sitting in the dog kennel drinking and pooping out water all day long. I was hoping maybe this is a sign of something treatable and not Marek's.

(The vet already said, probably Marek's, just wait and see....)

I have a youngish (under a year old) game hen whom I adopted from the shelter. I assume she and her siblings were not vaccinated against Marek's, as two of them died from it recently.

This hen is now showing sort of similar symptoms -- ruffled feathers, lethargy, reluctance to move, increasingly bad coordination, but the twist is that she is extremely thirsty all the time and the water just shoots out of her butt with undigested seeds in it. (She's eating and drinking well.)

I'm almost positive she has Marek's but am wondering if extreme thirst and watery poops are a classic symptom of something else? I've never seen a chicken drink so much. She's just sitting in the dog kennel drinking and pooping out water all day long. I was hoping maybe this is a sign of something treatable and not Marek's.

(The vet already said, probably Marek's, just wait and see....)
Did this chickens symtoms improve?

Back
Top Bottom