Would muscovy ducks.....

SamG347

Songster
12 Years
Mar 4, 2007
PA
Eat Japenese beatles in the garden? I know I cant trust the chickens...for obvious reasons. Also if I get a pair of scovys can they range around the yard? Or should I keep them penned in with the chickens? We have a dog that roams are neighborhood...she killed some young pheasants of mine before...but not sure if she could take a duck. What else make MUSCOVYS a great duck??
big_smile.png

don't get me started on muscovies
big_smile.png
They are mosiquito eating machines. Yes, they eat most insects and small snakes. They do not quack but make a kind of whispery sound like waa waa if you whisper it. My females make a squeaky noise. Mine used to be penned up at night but then they chose to stay out of doors at night. I read where the females can fly but the males are too heavy to fly. The females supposedly fly around your property. Mine have never done that at all. They are extremely gentle birds. They follow me like puppies when they want to eat. They also eat slugs off your hosta plants. They are extremely prolific.

They are also decent layers, they are very lean. You can compare there breast meat to veal, awesome meatbirds. they love to eat your left over food.they get pretty big drakes of 12-14pounds are not unheard of. Mine also rarely go for cover, only when the sun beats down or the puppy bothers them too much. A pond or a swim area is not neccasry with them. they are not migratory... for me they are the most awesome bird there is,
but you have to supervise them, they will eat your plants, espec. pepper plants and zuchinni and pumpkin leafs, tomato plants are safe.

I don't have muscovies but my ducks ate all the leaves off my beans and sweet potatoes this year. (Their too cute to punish) The chickens on the other hand just eat anything they can scratch up. How big is this roaming dog? Dogs are trouble.

barnie.gif
I want some 'scovies so bad. LOL I should have never stumbled into this thread. LOL

-Kim

Quote:
gig.gif
I was the same way - till about two weeks ago!
gig.gif
I ordered mine after getting eggs on a swap - I couldn't wait any longer, so ordered little day olds from a hatchery.

The little yellow fluff's are all in a duck-pile as we speak - fast asleep! SO SO CUTE!!!!

Quote:
gig.gif
I was the same way - till about two weeks ago!
gig.gif
I ordered mine after getting eggs on a swap - I couldn't wait any longer, so ordered little day olds from a hatchery.

The little yellow fluff's are all in a duck-pile as we speak - fast asleep! SO SO CUTE!!!!

tongue.gif
smack.gif

hit.gif

-Kim

Quote:
I have mine in a brooder right now - but I have a small shed next to the chicken coop thats been cleaned out - I have to fix the outside - I'm going to put up some siding..... then they'll be all set!
big_smile.png

Back
Top Bottom