Would this be suitable?

SamJB

In the Brooder
8 Years
Jun 19, 2011
I am getting two rhode island chickens, and we have a raised shelter in our backyard, about 5x7. I'm putting bedding inside and everything, but is this suitable for them? what could I apply to make this better?

welcome-byc.gif
D.gif
welcome-byc.gif

Is there any way you could post a pic or two so that we could see what you have to work with?
The main thing is that they have adequate ventilation and also protection from predators. This would mean using hardware cloth over any window or vent openings and also latches on doors and gates.
You'll need nest boxes and roosts and also places for feeder and waterer that are up so they don't kick or scratch the bedding into them and keep them dirty.

When I clean it out tomorow I'll definately try to get some pictures. And yeah I was going to get feeders, waterers, nesting boxes. It is fairly raised, and the only predators we have in our area are racoons, so I don't think safety will be a problem.

The door has an open spot but I'm going to board that up way before I even get the chicks. There are very small windows up at the top but unless that racoon plays basket ball I'm sure they wont get in
tongue.png

What do you suggest for venilating the windows?

Raccoons can get into almost anything and are VERY persistant. Also oppossums, mink, weasels.
You'll need to put some sort of barrier up all around the underside so they cannot dig into your coop or run. Also field mice, rats and squirrels will chew through wood if they can get up underneath with no deterrent.
Dogs are also very good at digging in or tearing through chicken wire enclosures and snakes can get through fencing too unless it's hardware cloth or small weld.

Thanks
smile.png

I'm starting out with 2 chicks, I'm getting them either from fleet farm or My Pet Chicken.

Well it's raised two feet off the ground, and the windows are at least 5-6 feet off the ground.

Last edited:
Have you check out the Learning Center yet? (Link is at the top of the page) Chickens 101 is a helpful start. It will help with how to raise the chicks until they are feathered out and able to go into the coop. Might I also suggest getting three, just in case. Most likely they will be fine, but if you only get two, and one turns out to be a rooster (maybe that's okay with you but some of us backyarders can't keep them), or one doesn't make it for some reason, you could be left with one lonely chick. Just a suggestion...

Raccoons will climb. My idiot ex boyfriend set some of those jaw traps in our barn once (and promptly left town-he was a truck driver) and he didn't secure the traps. I had no idea he set them and I hate those traps-I had a lot of cats and they could have gotten in them. So anyway, A coon got caught in one and it climbed all the way up to the very tippy top of the inside of our barn with the trap on his leg. I felt awful for the poor thing. I had to call a friend to come and put it out of its misery and of course he lectured me the whole time about setting traps and not being there. Gee it wasn't me but thanks anyway. The idiot never set the traps again because I wouldn't shut up about it after that.

Back
Top Bottom