would this prevent freezing

Discussion in 'Feeding & Watering Your Flock' started by werecatrising, Nov 23, 2009.

1. werecatrising

werecatrising Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 4, 2009
    California
  2. CityClucks

CityClucks The Center of a 50 Mile Radius

Jan 31, 2009
    Tulsa, OK
    I have no idea! Could you test one by putting it in your refrigerator freezer in a bowl of water?

3. kuntrychick

kuntrychick Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 19, 2009
    Alabama
    I would wonder if they would peck at the air stone. What are those air stones made of?

4. LynneP

LynneP Chillin' With My Peeps

I think you would be happier with a heated dog bowl, to be honest. No chance of clogging and possible freezeup, or of having the water run low and blowing the motor (fire hazard). I believe the air stones are made of pumice which is soft enough to be pecked to pieces...

Last edited: Nov 24, 2009
  5. MuranoFarms

MuranoFarms Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 14, 2009
    Boyers, Pa
    You wouldn't have to leave the airstone on. They work fine without them, the bubbles are just bigger. You would have to fasten the tube to the bottom of the bowl though.

Edited to add: the motor wouldn't blow if the water ran out. You'd just waste electricity [​IMG]

Last edited: Nov 24, 2009
  6. gsim

gsim Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 18, 2009
    East Tennessee
    If it did work, would have to be a large enough container of water to not freeze quickly. Best to have hose within a hose too in order to prevent water in exposed hose from freezing. If you can find a plug-in heated dog bowl, that would be what I would do. better yet, two of them.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by