Would this terrarium make a (good) chick brooder?

I checked the package of the grit I purchased a little closer and it says it is suitable for chicken, quail, bantam quail and finches. It does have several sizes.
Do you have a link to the product?
I'm curious what it is.
I've purchased granite grit in bulk from the feed mill and sifted it all thru a 1/16" colander to get the smaller sized grit for the chicks.
I usually dig up a small piece of sod near the chicken run and sprinkle it with grit in the brooder at about 1-2 weeks old.

Do you have a link to the product?
I'm curious what it is.
I've purchased granite grit in bulk from the feed mill and sifted it all thru a 1/16" colander to get the smaller sized grit for the chicks.
I usually dig up a small piece of sod near the chicken run and sprinkle it with grit in the brooder at about 1-2 weeks old.
Hi aart, here is the link:
https://www.huehner-shop.com/Wachtelgrit-Grit-Wachtelfutter-Futter
I'm sorry it is on german, I'm in Germany.
I took a picture of some of the grit in my hand to show the sizes of it better:
RIMG1318 (3).JPG

The ingredients are: Calcareous marine algae, calcareous shell limestone, calcium carbonate, quartz

Ok I will give them some sod, they are 9 and 8 days old now, thank you for your advice!

The ingredients are: Calcareous marine algae, calcareous shell limestone, calcium carbonate, quartz

Ok I will give them some sod, they are 9 and 8 days old now, thank you for your advice!
Main issue with this sort of pet bird grit is it has a lot of calcium components - the limestone, the calcium carbonate. The non soluble grit that's sold for chickens in the US is usually granite, so no extra calcium going into the system.

If the clump of dirt/sod has some tiny stones in the soil, the chicks can pick that out and safely use it as grit.

Main issue with this sort of pet bird grit is it has a lot of calcium components - the limestone, the calcium carbonate. The non soluble grit that's sold for chickens in the US is usually granite, so no extra calcium going into the system.
I noticed that wonders if caged birds have different calcium requirement?

I'm sorry it is on german, I'm in Germany.
That's fine..... site had a translation function, so it displayed in english.

Here's how to add your general geographical location to your profile.
It's easy to do, and then it's always there!
1618179902902.png

I noticed that wonders if caged birds have different calcium requirement?

That's fine..... site had a translation function, so it displayed in english.

Here's how to add your general geographical location to your profile.
It's easy to do, and then it's always there!
View attachment 2611180
Thank you aart for showing me, I tried already once to add my location but couldn't figure it out, I will try again, seeing a picture always helps a lot 👍

Hi, I'm planning to hatch chicks.
I plan to lend an incubator from a friend.
So now I'm starting plans for a safe and appropriate brooder.
I do have a selfbuild terrarium from my tortoises when they were babies (long time ago). They now do live outside in an outdoor enclosure or are in their hibernating space since many years now but I kept the terrarium in case someone gets injured or sick or there is need for a quarantine area, which thank God never happened. Several times I thought about selling it, but perhaps I'm lucky now I didn't - looking at the terrarium I thought maybe it could be modificated as a chick brooder and wanted to ask you for your opinions.
(Please notice: the terrarium on the pictures is still set up for tortoises. I would never use the UV-lamp/neon tube for the chicks. I would not use the bedding and the stones and cork barks etc. for the chicks. The whole terrarium would be emptied and cleaned and desinfected thoroughly)

The inner dimensions of the terrarium are:
length: 1 m 37 cm = 54 inches
wide range: 65 cm = 25 inches
height: 70 cm = 27 inches

It is made of coated wood (good to clean and desinfect) and in the front are two big glass panels. Ventilation areas (perforated sheet) are on top and on front (I increased ventilation by leaving both glass panels open for about 0,4 inches if neccessary). I could change one glass panel for a frame with wirefence to have more ventilation for the chicks if this would be better.

I plan to use a brooder plate: https://brinsea.co.uk/bird-breeding-products/brooders/ecoglow-safety-600-chick-brooder/ so this would be the heat source for the chicks.
There is a ceramic bulb holder for a heat lamp on the right side in the terrarium, I could put a moderate light bulb there, perhaps covered with a little lampshade so the light would not be so harsh for them.
First week I plan to use puppy pads, afterwards wood litter or pine shavings.

Please tell me your opinions. Would the terrarium work as a chick brooder? Any advice is much appreciated ❤
View attachment 2504880

View attachment 2505194

View attachment 2505196

View attachment 2505205

View attachment 2505206
I think that it will make an eggcellent brooder! Very spacious, you can even hang a branch for a roost with the chains you have already! Clean it up add your pine shavings accessories and you're ready for your chicks!! Enjoy and keep us posted on their progress!!

What breed eggs you hope to get?

I ordered 8 Barred Plymouth Rock from a seller on ebay and I received 10 in the shipment. None were cracked. I just candled last night (about day 8) and it looks like for sure I have 7 growing, 3 look like not developing. Next time I candle, if they aren't growing I'll take them out.

The terrarium idea I think looks just fine but yes I think they will outgrow that pretty quickly. I agree, after raising chicks for years, it is so fun! However, getting them out pretty quickly is a good goal. They start jumping and flexing their wings pretty quickly!

I have used anything from cardboard boxes, to a make shift wooden box, a wash tub, and a dog kennel. As long as you have a heat source, dry bedding, food and water, the little critters are pretty hardy! My go to favorite is the old wash tub.

I think that it will make an eggcellent brooder! Very spacious, you can even hang a branch for a roost with the chains you have already! Clean it up add your pine shavings accessories and you're ready for your chicks!! Enjoy and keep us posted on their progress!!
Hi Rooster Giddens, thank you!
At the moment I do have a safety cord for the waterer (after the smallest baby already greeted me from the top of it) at one of the hooks from the chains, but hangig a branch for a roost there is an excellent idea!

The chicks are very active, eat and scratch a lot (they really enjoy the pine shaving bedding):
RIMG1321.JPG

Back
Top Bottom