Would You Be Mad?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Quote:
I'm was in management for 20 years and I was thinking exactly the same thing!!! I would have taken it as a message from the husband that he didn't consider his wife fit for the job! At the very least I would think he didn't want her nearby for some reason (not sure I'd want my hubby underfoot but I wouldn't sabotage him either)... I hate to say this, he may just be clueless, But WHAT THE HEY!!! Maybe he felt you guys didn't need the money near as bad as this lady and if that's the case, he should go to the manager of that department and explain his reasoning so that they will consider you for the next position that comes up.

GOOD LUCK!!!
BTW, I'd be so furious my hubby would be hiding under the stairs.
somad.gif

Quote:
I'm thinking this is more than just having "feelings". The reservations are one thing, encouraging her to apply then sabotaging her without explaining to the manager, or to his wife, why he submitted the new app is something else entirely! It's easy to say that if the situation were reversed you would just say that your wife gave you a "blessing". I suspect that if your wife went behind your back and ruined your chances of getting a job you really wanted without speaking to you about it first you would be singing a different tune.
Now don't call me a "ballbuster" just 'cause I disagree with you.
smile.png

Quote:
But what if completely removing himself requires him to do something differently than he would normally have done were it not for his wife's app being in the stack?

That's not impartial either -- especially considering that removing himself from the process in this situation would have eliminated some competition for his wife! Indeed, that's pretty much the opposite of impartiality, IMHO..

The husband in this case because the descision concerns his wife can be judged as bias simply because the descision envolves his wife. It is on the same level as a court judge deciding the sentence of his own child.
No way should the husband have been allowed to make any comment, nor should the HR dept sought his opinion. In a real company a policy manual exist and I garauntee how to handle situations like this are covered in that manual. To have a husband or a wife evaluate the job performance of a spouse!!!!! No way, it is just not done.
For instance, if it is the husbands normal duty to evaluate job aps, when his wife's job ap appeared on his desk, he probably has a set of guidlines that are spelled out in the policy manual, to follow. Such as who to pass the ap to that would make an impartial descision. Remember, it is automaticlly assumed that the husband's opinion is tainted.

I agree with the above. One cannot objectively evaluate and compare a loved one and a truly third party against each other--you will either be too easy or too hard on your loved one.

There is a reason it is called conflict of interest.

Quote:
What's he gonna say?

"Hey, here's this other application. I'm just trying to look impartial."

hmm.png

Quote:
My wife would never go 'behind my back' and ruin my chances of getting a job anyplace she happened to be working, because I would never apply for a job anyplace she happened to be working. I don't want to work in the same place as my wife.

This thread explains a lot of the reasons why I feel that way. Too much drama and conflict exactly where it's not needed -- in the workplace.

I think you should have a chat with your husband and tell him that you feel hurt by what you percieve as his betrayal so your not festering bad feelings which could hurt your marriage ...

I would be surprise if he did this to you on purpose but I can certainly understand why the managers would prefer to have someone unrelated in the position because you do get "the inside word".

Quote:
That's not what happened, though.. Not so far as I can tell, anyway.

As far as I can tell, the OP's husband interviewed a lady for a position in his department, didn't hire her, but thought she'd be a good candidate for another position. His wife happened to have an application in for that other position as well.

Bam -- Rock/Hard-place

Instead of going against what he'd normally do by holding the other lady's application back, he went ahead and gave it to the other manager like he normally would have because he knew he needed to be impartial. For all we know, there may have been something in the employee handbook indicating that he could be fired for withholding an app to increase a family member's chances of being hired...it would make sense, wouldn't it?

Anyway, for whatever reason, the other manager hired the other lady instead of the OP.

The OP got mad because her husband did what he'd normally do instead of holding that other application back, which would have increased her chances -- as the wife of a manager -- of being hired, and would have done so at the expense of the other lady who didn't have an "in" at the company.

Again I say...kudos to the OPs husband.

I think that the Op has already moved on. We can find something else more fun to argue about.
big_smile.png

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom