Wounded Hen

Breguerrero

Hatching
Jan 24, 2022
Warning : Graphic Images

Hi all, we had an attack a few days ago and one of our hens is severely wounded. She is doing much better every day but I just wanted to make sure I’m following the correct steps.

I have been spraying Banixx on her wounds 2-3 times and day and applying neosporin once a day. We have her separated from our other hens in a large dog crate next to the run so she doesn’t get too lonely. It doesn’t seem to be infected but it does have a slight smell to it. Your advice and opinions would be much appreciated!

Attachments

• 6A062516-E762-46E4-984C-6EC5E8CE15CB.jpeg
    6A062516-E762-46E4-984C-6EC5E8CE15CB.jpeg
    785.3 KB · Views: 33
I had a similar case a few months ago. I think what you're doing is okay. The hen will recover by herself but you need to keep an eye on infections (which I'm sure you already know). It's important to keep the wound clean. There's not much you can do apart from that (and keeping her isolated to avoid pecking from other hens).

That looks to be healing nicely. It may have been severe to begin with but she will recover. Dont pull scabs too soon or it will open back up and cause more pain. I kept mine dry and even used clean ashes before applied to the wound, but some like to use creams and ointments which is like the opposite. I guess it depends on your set up and level of care you can provide. That looks like it doesnt even need daily monitoring anymore, but it may take her a while to walk and act normal again but she will.

Back
Top Bottom