Wounded , skin torn off the size of a quarter down to the meat

Status
Not open for further replies.

Grandmas Coop

Crossing the Road
9 Years
Mar 8, 2014
I was checking the hens with the most rooster wear and found a hole the size of a quarter, no skin flap, just a rip hole in the skin.
had to have been done late last evening or this morning. It is not bleeding. What should I do??
Becky

You can clean it with chlorhexadene, betadine, or soap and water, then apply neosporin or other antibiotic ointment (plain) to the wound. I would cage her for a couple of days, inside the coop, and then spray some BluKote on the wound to hide it from pecking when it starts to heal. I would also check the rooster's spurs and probably trim or file them down if they are sharp.

Last edited:
rooster hasn't gotten his spurs yet, this is just toe nails. After saline rinsing it , it is round but has a downward tear, I think we may have to cull her. This is too big maybe 20 stiches. Well that's life on a farm I guess. Thank you for your input, Becky

How is she doing as far as being alert and active, or eating and drinking? Sometimes with separation and good first aid treatment, these types of wounds can heal well. Of course, you can see what it looks like, so you would know best.

she is acting fine, eating, drinking,, I just cant lit the rooster around her. He'll keep ripping the wound. The other chicken will peck at her wound too. She in in the bathtub for tonight, we'll see how she is in the morning.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom