Wrong kind of sand?

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by California Girls, Sep 30, 2009.

1. California Girls

California Girls Out Of The Brooder

Jul 20, 2009
    Southern California
    I know this is talked about a lot. I think I used the wrong kind of sand. I used play sand. Is that wrong? If so, what is the name of the other kind or sand I need to get. Thanks for your help.
    [​IMG]

2. muell112

muell112 Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 4, 2009
    Bangor, ME
    What is the sand for? If you want grit I think bigger pieces of granite are what they sell commercially in the store for grit. I put sand in initially and the birds ate a bunch and it kind of worried me. The bigger (1/8-1/4") pieces of hard rock are supposed to work well.

3. Lil Chickie Mama

Lil Chickie Mama Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 1, 2009
    California
    [​IMG] I am literally looking up sand at the moment in another tab of my internet and it's on Home Depot play sand!! I too am curious what the answers will be and what you're using it for. Since it's in this forum I'd think you mean for the floor otherwise it would be in feeding & watering right?

4. California Girls

California Girls Out Of The Brooder

Jul 20, 2009
    Southern California
    I'm sorry, I use pine shavings in the coop, and the sand is for the run.
    Thanks

5. ColoradoMike

ColoradoMike Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 12, 2009
    Northern Colorado
    I think 'play sand' is just fine to use in the run area, though it may be less expensive to buy sand 'in bulk' from an aggregate supplier - though that depends on the size of your run and the amount of sand you actually need...

6. deanna&rich

deanna&rich Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 2, 2009
    chimacum, WA
    "Play Sand" is the same kind of stuff as the sand you can buy for construction purposes. It has just been cleaned more so that it's safe for a kid's sandbox. The construction sand is pretty well washed and free of any debris, so for the quantity needed for a run, that's what we're using.

7. greenpeeps

greenpeeps Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 15, 2009
    Greenford, Ohio
    Play sand isn't what you want for your chickens. Play sand is very fine and when it gets wet it compacts and doesn't drain very well. You need construction sand for the chickens. This is a mixture of different grains of sand that work great for the drainage. Good Luck.

8. greenpeeps

greenpeeps Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 15, 2009
    Greenford, Ohio
    Oh, you could even try river rock instead of the construction sand. But never play sand. They are different.

9. DawnSuiter

DawnSuiter Chillin' With My Peeps

10. dianer29

dianer29 Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 31, 2009
    D: I live in Hawaii, supplies are real difficult at times to come by due to the travel times from mainland and the fact that alot of"mail" that is destined for here,The Big Island, stops at Oahu first adding even more time to getting supplies let alone the expense. That aside: do you know if a Home Depot would carry construction sand in bags? I will venture out to the city soon to get supplies just thought you might know...........

Last edited: Sep 30, 2009

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by