Wry neck day 5

Smcd18

Chirping
May 15, 2019
Brevard County, FL
I have a silkie chick that has wry neck. It is to the point it's head is all the way under its belly and it cannot walk forward just backward. It also will not eat solid. It does not open its eyes or want to drink water.

For the past 5 days I give it egg yolks with cinnamon and nutri-drench twice daily. I also helped get water with probiotics twice daily.

I had one day where it was up walking around with just a slight kink and then back to the head under the belly. It even seems to be crying out. I have been giving small doses of CBD to help calm it and help with pain.

Being that we are on day 5 of treatment with little to no improvements does anyone have any more suggestions?

How do you know when to give up and cull it?

How oldis your silkie? Head injuries, vitamin deficiency, heredity, and certain diseases can be a cause of wry neck. In addition to 1 ml of NutriDrench each day, I would give 400 IU of vitamin E orally each day for a couple of weeks.

For the past 5 days I give it egg yolks with cinnamon and nutri-drench twice daily. I also helped get water with probiotics twice daily.
egg yolks from the same flock may be missing the key nutrient that caused the wry neck in the first place..

It's crying because it's likely starving to death slowly.. unless your willing to tube feed.. and also note how the poos are if it's passing them.. time for euthanasia is NOW.. :(

(6) Step-by-Step Tube Feeding Guide

It doesn't have the energy or nutrients to recover with only twice a day feeding and watering..

Sorry you face this, I KNOW it's always a difficult choice.. :hugs

FWIW.. anytime, I've face a wry neck hatchling.. dosing with nutridrech and or ND water straight to the beak EVERY half hour.. usually has them up and normal BEFORE exiting the hatcher.

Also, I bred Silkies for a few years.. NEVER had a why neck caused by injury even kep with a large fowl flock.. OR nutrient deficit.. EXCEPT one time.. an individual hen,, had issues with absorption despite being fed a formulated ration NOT diminished with excess treats.

At this point, dehydration probably won't allow the minerals to be carried/utilized correctly even if on board.. according to my current understanding, the description I read, AND my previous hacthing experience.. including hundreds of Silkie chicks.. which is STILL minimal, I know..

Hope this helps, with whatever you decision is. :fl

How many other chicks hatched and are thriving?!

EDIT.. for updated age.. what is being fed?! Has coccidiosis symptoms been seen by anyone?

ETAA: crop/gizzard function is in question also now that I see age. Might be things to check.

egg yolks from the same flock may be missing the key nutrient that caused the wry neck in the first place..

It's crying because it's likely starving to death slowly.. unless your willing to tube feed.. and also note how the poos are if it's passing them.. time for euthanasia is NOW.. :(

(6) Step-by-Step Tube Feeding Guide

It doesn't have the energy or nutrients to recover with only twice a day feeding and watering..

Sorry you face this, I KNOW it's always a difficult choice.. :hugs

FWIW.. anytime, I've face a wry neck hatchling.. dosing with nutridrech and or ND water straight to the beak EVERY half hour.. usually has them up and normal BEFORE exiting the hatcher.

Also, I bred Silkies for a few years.. NEVER had a why neck caused by injury even kep with a large fowl flock.. OR nutrient deficit.. EXCEPT one time.. an individual hen,, had issues with absorption despite being fed a formulated ration NOT diminished with excess treats.

At this point, dehydration probably won't allow the minerals to be carried/utilized correctly even if on board.. according to my current understanding, the description I read, AND my previous hacthing experience.. including hundreds of Silkie chicks.. which is STILL minimal, I know..

Hope this helps, with whatever you decision is. :fl

How many other chicks hatched and are thriving?!

EDIT.. for updated age.. what is being fed?! Has coccidiosis symptoms been seen by anyone?

ETAA: crop/gizzard function is in question also now that I see age. Might be things to check.

It is the only one of the bunch with these issues. The eggs are from my flock that have no health issues. This chick was hatched by a friend who didn't have the capacity to care for it.

No coccidiosis signs in any of the chicks. Feeding it eggs until the crop feels full twice daily. Roughly 12 days old. No changes in weight. I try to get it to eat mash and it just won't. I have been giving it raw egg yolk (yes I know can result in egg eating) but it will not swallow anything that isn't liquid.

I am aware it may come down to culling which is why I asked. I feel very bad watching it suffer and not being able to have a good life.

Update: when I got home from work so roughly 9 hours after feeding its crop was still not empty. As of this morning still not empty. So it clearly has some internal issues. I have made the decision to cull it. I can't stand to watch it suffer any more. If its not processing what it is taking in it won't get better and will just slowly starve

Back
Top Bottom