Wry Neck - freshly hatched indian runner duck

RunnerMamaNewby

In the Brooder
May 1, 2023
Indian runner duckling hatched less than 12 hours ago and keeps throwing her head back so much that she flips herself over onto her back. I flip her back and she immediately throws herself back again. I'm 99% sure is Wry neck. What supplements should I give her? I've read niacin, thiamine, Brewers yeast, nutritional yeast. Vitamin b, 'save a chick' supplements. So many answers that I dont know which one is correct. Please help.

Indian runner duckling hatched less than 12 hours ago and keeps throwing her head back so much that she flips herself over onto her back. I flip her back and she immediately throws herself back again. I'm 99% sure is Wry neck. What supplements should I give her? I've read niacin, thiamine, Brewers yeast, nutritional yeast. Vitamin b, 'save a chick' supplements. So many answers that I dont know which one is correct. Please help.
@Miss Lydia
@BelovedBirds

Last edited:
@New duck mommy 2021
@Miss Lydia

Hi,

I’m so sorry to hear about your duckling!
I am currently dealing with the same issue with my week old Muscovy that hatched with wry neck as well.
I’ve done a ton of research and with the kind and caring people in this group this is what I’m currently doing:

Vitamin E 400 IU (180 mg) capsules 2x per day.
Niacin,500 mg. As I’ve read wry neck could be a niacin deficiency. (I cut the tablet into 4 equal parts and put 1/4 of a tablet into a gallon of water) I know she’s not getting enough that way so I’m trying to find out exactly how much she needs per day in a syringe.
Selenium 200 mcg tablets. (Still searching for the correct dosage.)
Vitamin B complex.
Brewers yeast.
Molasses.

I just bought the Selenium and Niacin this morning, but I’m afraid to give it to her before I find the right dosage.
I’ve searched everywhere and posted my question here. I received a GREAT link, I think you received it also, it’s very helpful!
My ducklings curve is way down between her shoulder blades and is shaped like an “S”, we tried to make a brace when she was a day old, but it made her very uncomfortable and it wouldn’t have worked since her curve is so low.

Sadly, mom abandoned her 3 babies so I’m hand raising them inside in their brooder.
I also use moist, warm compresses and gently massage her. She LOVES it and will lay with her neck straight while I am doing this, so her little bones are not fused in a curve. It doesn’t hurt her when I gently straighten her neck and she’ll lay in my lap and snuggle with it perfectly straight, but when I put her back her neck goes right back to the left. Ugh!! 😣

Anyway, that’s what I’m doing, but I’m sure there are many different ways.
I sincerely hope your little one recovers, and lots of TLC and gently talking to her will make her feel safe and cared for. 💕

Here’s our little one. As you can see it’s pretty bad..

Kindly,
Amy

Attachments

• IMG_4292.jpeg
    IMG_4292.jpeg
    595.9 KB · Views: 1
  • IMG_4295.jpeg
    IMG_4295.jpeg
    591.8 KB · Views: 2
  • IMG_4299.jpeg
    IMG_4299.jpeg
    724.7 KB · Views: 1
  • IMG_4046.jpeg
    IMG_4046.jpeg
    362.6 KB · Views: 1
  • IMG_4032.jpeg
    IMG_4032.jpeg
    475.5 KB · Views: 1
  • IMG_3991.jpeg
    IMG_3991.jpeg
    516.1 KB · Views: 1
The quicker you start treatment the better the chance of helping get over it. Scrambled eggs are a good way of getting selenium into them. Prick a 400 iu Vt E and put it into the scrambled egg. Poultry cell is another way to help. &Liquid B complex.

Back
Top Bottom