Wry neck survivability

K0k0shka

Free Ranging
Premium Feather Member
Jul 24, 2019
Boston Area, MA
My Coop
My Coop
Does anybody know what the survivability rate is for wry neck in hatchlings? I'm having a very hard time finding anything, either here or in Google. Just general information on what it is and how to treat it, or people's personal accounts. I'm trying to figure out if trying to save the chick is worth it and how likely it is that it can even be saved. I just hatched some chicks and one has severe wry neck. It wasn't that bad on hatch day, but the day after (today) its head is flopped all the way onto its back and it keeps falling over. Completely cannot do anything - walk, eat, drink etc. I gave it NutriDrench a few times throughout the day today and have a vitamin E + selenium combo arriving tomorrow (Tuesday), but the chick seems to be getting worse. It lies on its back most of the time, with its legs stretched out. This was a sentimental hatch mostly for my kids' sake and we currently have 6 chicks, of which we intend to keep 1-2 females. So it's not of utmost importance to save every last one, it would just up our odds of getting a female... So, at this point, is it worth trying to save it? Do they ever come back from this level of severity? :(

1618886929251.png

Thank you everybody for your input! I just made a cocktail out of raw egg yolk, molasses and the gel from the vitamin E + selenium gel caps. I used an eye dropper and dripped little drops on the chick’s beak, in the crack. It seems hungry and actually ate quite a bit! It kicks and flops and chirps a lot, so it looks like it still has a lot of life in it. I’ll add the vitamin b complex to the cocktail tomorrow. Let’s hope this works!

I read about ruptured air sacs and people seem to recommend to just leave it alone if it's not getting worse, and it will reabsorb into the body. Puncturing it to drain the air risks infection, and Crooky is still too weak. The air bubble hasn't grown since I first saw it, so I'm gonna leave it alone for now.

My husband has taken a strange interest in this chick. And the chickens in general. He used to be annoyed by them, and by the amount of time and energy I spend on them :lol: But now he's advocating for getting more, wants to build a DIY incubator for next year (I didn't think we were hatching again next year, but okay :lol:), and now he wants to build some kind of collar out of paper for this chick so it can hold its head in the correct position, and something else so it won't fall over... Not sure how he's gonna convince the chick to wear said devices, but it melts my heart that he cares and wants to help :love

Thank you everybody for your input! I just made a cocktail out of raw egg yolk, molasses and the gel from the vitamin E + selenium gel caps. I used an eye dropper and dripped little drops on the chick’s beak, in the crack. It seems hungry and actually ate quite a bit! It kicks and flops and chirps a lot, so it looks like it still has a lot of life in it. I’ll add the vitamin b complex to the cocktail tomorrow. Let’s hope this works!
Go very slowly(I'm sure you are).
I've used a soaked qtip and hold it against the side of beak.
Liquid seeps into mouth and sometimes stroke under beak and front of neck to stimulate swallowing.

Good luck to you a little guy! Don't forget the water, or preferably electrolyte water, as its went quite awhile without hydration.
That’s right. I have only been giving it other fluids so I forgot about actual water, too. I have a poultry vitamins and electrolytes mix to put in their water, so I’ll use that.

I have fixed my wry necks by giving them yolk water. I make their beak dip. I have one I got from Meyers, he is 7 months old now but still a bit loopy. he crows maybe not as much or as loud as a normal bird. But he is very sweet.
nha.PNG
4pa.PNG

I have fixed my wry necks by giving them yolk water. I make their beak dip. I have one I got from Meyers, he is 7 months old now but still a bit loopy. he crows maybe not as much or as loud as a normal bird. But he is very sweet. View attachment 2627595View attachment 2627583
This is very encouraging, thank you! I had given up. Glad to see your boy made it!

Go very slowly(I'm sure you are).
I've used a soaked qtip and hold it against the side of beak.
Liquid seeps into mouth and sometimes stroke under beak and front of neck to stimulate swallowing.
Yeah, it’s quite a slow process. It keeps its beak closed, so I put a drop on it, which prompts it to open its beak a little and swallow. So I wait for it to swallow and repeat. At least it doesn’t need help actually swallowing. And I think it liked my cocktail. It would resist the NutriDrench, turn away from the dropper or shake its head, but with the fancy cocktail, it waits and swallows patiently.

Back
Top Bottom