Wry neck survivability

I'm not sure where the air sacs are located, but its probably a ruptured air sac. Chickens don't have lungs like us, they have a series of different oxygen filtering methods. People often stick a needle in them to deflate them, but im not so sure that would be ok in a frail chick. Someone else may know more on that tho, or it may not even be a ruptured air sac. My wry neck chick (whom i had to cull) developed a big one under his beak/neck. I dont think his respiratory system was properly developed as he had trouble breathing from day 1.

I'm not sure where the air sacs are located, but its probably a ruptured air sac. Chickens don't have lungs like us, they have a series of different oxygen filtering methods. People often stick a needle in them to deflate them, but im not so sure that would be ok in a frail chick. Someone else may know more on that tho, or it may not even be a ruptured air sac. My wry neck chick (whom i had to cull) developed a big one under his beak/neck. I dont think his respiratory system was properly developed as he had trouble breathing from day 1.
I’m sorry to hear about your chick ☹️ My first thought was air sac actually, but the location didn’t make sense. It’s up near the shoulder blade, on the back. Though maybe the air traveled up there? I’ll read up on it.

I’m sorry to hear about your chick ☹️ My first thought was air sac actually, but the location didn’t make sense. It’s up near the shoulder blade, on the back. Though maybe the air traveled up there? I’ll read up on it.
Well thats why insaid i didnt know where all the air sacs were located. Theres like 3 seperate systems of them. But yes, air can travel beneath the skin and pool in a different location.

Ruptured air sac is the most logical explanation. He throws himself around a lot and I’ve dropped him a couple of times - just a couple of inches onto the tabletop, but he’s delicate so maybe that did it 😞

I read about ruptured air sacs and people seem to recommend to just leave it alone if it's not getting worse, and it will reabsorb into the body. Puncturing it to drain the air risks infection, and Crooky is still too weak. The air bubble hasn't grown since I first saw it, so I'm gonna leave it alone for now.

My husband has taken a strange interest in this chick. And the chickens in general. He used to be annoyed by them, and by the amount of time and energy I spend on them :lol: But now he's advocating for getting more, wants to build a DIY incubator for next year (I didn't think we were hatching again next year, but okay :lol:), and now he wants to build some kind of collar out of paper for this chick so it can hold its head in the correct position, and something else so it won't fall over... Not sure how he's gonna convince the chick to wear said devices, but it melts my heart that he cares and wants to help :love

I read about ruptured air sacs and people seem to recommend to just leave it alone if it's not getting worse, and it will reabsorb into the body. Puncturing it to drain the air risks infection, and Crooky is still too weak. The air bubble hasn't grown since I first saw it, so I'm gonna leave it alone for now.

My husband has taken a strange interest in this chick. And the chickens in general. He used to be annoyed by them, and by the amount of time and energy I spend on them :lol: But now he's advocating for getting more, wants to build a DIY incubator for next year (I didn't think we were hatching again next year, but okay :lol:), and now he wants to build some kind of collar out of paper for this chick so it can hold its head in the correct position, and something else so it won't fall over... Not sure how he's gonna convince the chick to wear said devices, but it melts my heart that he cares and wants to help :love
That’s super sweet. I hope Crooky pulls through, I’m really rooting for y’all!

I have a week old chick with wry neck, only it's head is twisted down to the right
20210421_155415.jpg
. It was fine last night, but when I got up this morning it was flopping around. All day today I've been giving an egg yolk, electrolyte mix. It's still alive. And has an air bubble, just like yours. I'm so sad because it is my favorite chick. You'll have to do an update whether your chick survives or not. I also was looking for info on wry neck survivability and couldn't find anything.

I have fixed my wry necks by giving them yolk water. I make their beak dip. I have one I got from Meyers, he is 7 months old now but still a bit loopy. he crows maybe not as much or as loud as a normal bird. But he is very sweet. View attachment 2627595View attachment 2627583

Just curious how long it takes to fix wry neck in chicks. I have week old chick who was fine last night and within 8 hours had wry neck. I'm giving it a mix of vitamins, electrolytes, molasses and egg yolk.

Back
Top Bottom