1. Astrids Flock

Astrids Flock Hatching

Apr 23, 2019
    I have an old Chantecler hen who's neck is folded over backwards. She can't move expect for sudden jerks of her leg and neck muscles. I put her on multi-vitamin and human emergen-C and she seems to be getting better. Any idea what she has?
    She also has diarrhea, but it could be from the fact she hasn't eaten solid food in days.

2. crazy4ChickensNducks

crazy4ChickensNducks Songster

Dec 16, 2018
    west, michigan
    Wyorp Rock and nightowl223 like this.
  3. I agree, sounds a lot like wry neck, though it's a little hard to be so sure without pictures. Getting extra vitamins in them can sometimes pull them out of it, especially the B vitamins, if memory serves. I have saved little chicks with it sometimes (though not always). A search on the forum here for 'wry neck treatment' might get you some very helpful information.

4. Eggcessive

Eggcessive Enabler

Apr 3, 2011
    southern Ohio
    Can you post some pictures tomorrow? How long has she not been able to move, except the sudden jerks? It sounds like she has opisthonatos, a form of wry neck. Can she move her toes or legs when you stroke them or move her legs? Can she move her wings? Could she have gotten into something poisonous, such as automotive fluid, a leak in a piece of heavy equipment, a compost bed, or eaten something dead?

Does she have any respiratory symptoms, such as cough or sneeze, swollen eyelids, or anything else you can think of?

Is she able to eat anything if you add water to her food? I would continue giving vitamins, and add vitamin E 400 IU emptied over some cooked egg or a favorite food. Wet chicken feed can get extra fluids into her.

Mareks disease or something putting pressure on her leg nerves could be a possibility. An injury might also be possible.

5. Eggcessive

Eggcessive Enabler

Apr 3, 2011
    southern Ohio
    This is a chicken with opisthonotos, a form of wry neck:

upload_2019-4-23_22-14-13.jpeg

6. Wyorp Rock

Wyorp Rock Enabler

Sep 20, 2015
    Southern N.C. Mountains
    Hi @Astrids Flock :frow Welcome To BYC

Can you post a photo or video of your hen? For video, upload to youtube, provide a link.

How old is your hen?
    I agree, it does sounds like she is experiencing neurological symptoms of Wry Neck according to your description. I would try the vitamin E to see if she responds.

7. Astrids Flock

Astrids Flock Hatching

Apr 23, 2019
    Thanks! I'll buy vitamin E tomorrow.
    She seems to be perking up after the vitamins and emergen-c.

Wyorp Rock likes this.
  8. Astrids Flock

Astrids Flock Hatching

Apr 23, 2019
    She looks exactly like this. Her neck is 'floppy' and she can't hold her head up by herself.

9. Astrids Flock

Astrids Flock Hatching

Apr 23, 2019
    None of my other chickens are sick, and she doesn't have any changes to her iris or pupils, so I don't think she has Marek's.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: