Wry Neck?

Astrids Flock

Hatching
Apr 23, 2019
I have an old Chantecler hen who's neck is folded over backwards. She can't move expect for sudden jerks of her leg and neck muscles. I put her on multi-vitamin and human emergen-C and she seems to be getting better. Any idea what she has?
She also has diarrhea, but it could be from the fact she hasn't eaten solid food in days.

I agree, sounds a lot like wry neck, though it's a little hard to be so sure without pictures. Getting extra vitamins in them can sometimes pull them out of it, especially the B vitamins, if memory serves. I have saved little chicks with it sometimes (though not always). A search on the forum here for 'wry neck treatment' might get you some very helpful information.

Can you post some pictures tomorrow? How long has she not been able to move, except the sudden jerks? It sounds like she has opisthonatos, a form of wry neck. Can she move her toes or legs when you stroke them or move her legs? Can she move her wings? Could she have gotten into something poisonous, such as automotive fluid, a leak in a piece of heavy equipment, a compost bed, or eaten something dead?

Does she have any respiratory symptoms, such as cough or sneeze, swollen eyelids, or anything else you can think of?

Is she able to eat anything if you add water to her food? I would continue giving vitamins, and add vitamin E 400 IU emptied over some cooked egg or a favorite food. Wet chicken feed can get extra fluids into her.

Mareks disease or something putting pressure on her leg nerves could be a possibility. An injury might also be possible.

This is a chicken with opisthonotos, a form of wry neck:

upload_2019-4-23_22-14-13.jpeg

I have an old Chantecler hen who's neck is folded over backwards. She can't move expect for sudden jerks of her leg and neck muscles. I put her on multi-vitamin and human emergen-C and she seems to be getting better. Any idea what she has?
She also has diarrhea, but it could be from the fact she hasn't eaten solid food in days.
Hi @Astrids Flock :frow Welcome To BYC

Can you post a photo or video of your hen? For video, upload to youtube, provide a link.

How old is your hen?
I agree, it does sounds like she is experiencing neurological symptoms of Wry Neck according to your description. I would try the vitamin E to see if she responds.

None of my other chickens are sick, and she doesn't have any changes to her iris or pupils, so I don't think she has Marek's.

Back
Top Bottom