WTB: PURE Black Orp eggs....

DutchChic

Chick Charmer
11 Years
Jun 4, 2008
NE Oklahoma
Not eggs from black Orps that are the result of B/B/S breedings....I have some of those. I need pure black Orp eggs. I know they are hard to come by, but would like to at least try. I would like a few pure black pullets to go with my pair of split black/lav Orps from Jody and Charlie.

Your BBS orps. aren't laying are they?
wink.png

I am looking for some too. If you find any please share the info!

I know Sara hatched some but I don't think they are laying age yet.

Miss Prissy...I sure will. And if you find some, let me know.

PP---my B/B/S aren't quite old enough to lay yet. I have spent all year aquiring my strains to work with, and probably won't have any eggs till sometime in the spring. I have to hatch some for myself, too...
big_smile.png

True Black Orpingtons are extremely rare. I was lucky enough to get my hands on some this past year. I have five diffrent lines and had to wait months to get most of them. They were well worth it. I might have eggs at the end of spring, but Im working on making my flock numbers higher. You can contact me then. I might also have some pullets or cockerels that I could ship. Im only keeping the best of the best and the rest will go. They aren't bad birds at all I'll just have better ones.
smile.png

Awesome!! I'll check with you next spring. I understand about wanting to hatch some for yourself first....I need to build my numbers as well.

Dutchchic, you can get good black even from the BBS and they should still work for you, If you get started ones, just look for good beetle green sheen..

you don't want the dull black or purple colored sheen ones.

I wouldn't see why they wouldn't work. but of course straight black lines would be the way to go..they are tuff to come by and you really got to watch who you get them from as anybody can tell you anything now days.. Just watch for the good green sheen color. id think when they are bred bbs type after awhile.. from that type of breeding, they will losse that nice beetle green sheen to them..You may wanna check the Orpington club and get the breeder list and look for someone that has been showing them for awhile and breeding them for a few years.

the splits come from pure black strains..so that is a good start there and with the lavender gene, id think if you can get some good green beetle sheen-ed black orps, even from BBS, you would be fine and really set to go..

Just my thoughts on this one..

Charlie

Last edited:
Quote:
I'll let you know. Charlie is right. You can tell the difference from a true black line and one with the BBS breed in. The BBS blacks have a dull apearence sometimes.
If you join the UOC they send you a breeders list. Good luck and I cant wait to see you upcoming flock of Lavenders
big_smile.png

Quote:
Okay...I'll look at my blacks closely and see if any of them look satisfactory as a start. I know I have a couple that I question are either a very dull black, or a very dark blue. The rest I think have the sheen you are referring to.
I'm not in too much of a hurry on the blacks as I'll want them later to add diversity to the bloodlines.

Quote:
I'll let you know. Charlie is right. You can tell the difference from a true black line and one with the BBS breed in. The BBS blacks have a dull apearence sometimes.
If you join the UOC they send you a breeders list. Good luck and I cant wait to see you upcoming flock of Lavenders
big_smile.png

LOL...I can't wait to see my upcoming flock of Lavenders!!
wee.gif

Back
Top Bottom