Wtf is this in poop?

Cattt123

Chirping
Jul 29, 2020
United Kingdom
Hi all,

I am usually a hoverer, reading everything but never there in time to answer before everyone else!
In need of a second opinion - I picked up this girl a few weeks ago from someone with no experience taking care of quail. She’s only 4 months old or so, has 6 big spots of bumblefoot on her feet (treating already and working well), and is terrified of everyone and everything.
Shes relaxed in my hands but everything else is the end of the world. Her companion hen bullied her a lot I think, who I also adopted and is much happier.

Anyhoo- she poops herself from fear a lot. I noticed what i think is a prolapse. Very hard to get a pic, and it only appears every now and then.

She’s on heygates layer pellets, with chick crumb available, oyster shell and grit available, and has daily treats (millet, mealworms, sunflower hearts, chia seeds etc)

Then, today she pooped as I was picking her up and this came out - it was the entire poo apart from lots of liquid. Is this just a weird texture poo? Is it a worm? Link to video:

My vet is about £70 for a new bird consult, and Covid has hit me hard so I’ll avoid if I can.

Of course if necessary I’ll take her! I have a disabled quail called Button going in for surgery next week too but I had to set up a go fund me!
Her story is here: https://gofund.me/c227b45f

F32F7B8D-DD74-43BA-93D4-4D45B2C196CA.jpeg
FF6DACBF-A963-4364-BB6F-06E246642BC3.jpeg
612B186A-D877-4C1E-8CE7-5D8E7E78E1EB.jpeg
488CA4AA-CF14-4D20-9190-766994DFCB65.jpeg

Last edited:
For some reason I wasn’t getting notifications of your replies!
I’ve been researching and closely watching her:

I don’t think she’s ill in any other way, and I haven’t seen it again so whatever it was seems to be a one off
I don’t think it’s a malformed egg

I’ll look into cecal core! It was hollow, but was quite squishy.

Honestly afterwards I think it mostly resembles a softened mealworm without the colour, so perhaps she just didn’t digest one properly?

the prolapse thing I haven’t seen again since, and her poops are healthy apart from when she gets scared and just empties a big runny poop 🤢

thanks as always for your help!

Back
Top Bottom