Wyandotte might be egg bound. -No pictures

Karma Crayon

Hatching
May 21, 2015
Hello,
I have a Wyandotte hen who is at the age to start laying(6 months old). Yesterday she was fine, today she has an egg shaped mass at her vent (or could be her vent) that is bloody. The feathers around and below it look like its covered in what could be yolk as its whitish yellow. She seems alert, barely has an appetite but is very antisocial with the other chickens. She tries to pass it, and only white stuff comes out. Does this sound like being egg bound? She is one of my favorite chickens, and so social to me. If It is egg bound, I don't want her to suffer and would like the most humane and painless way to put her down or fix the issue. Thank you.

The reason there are no pictures is because Im too upset looking at her to hold a camera still.

Last edited:
Sorry about your hen. Bring her inside to a bath tub, and make her a shallow bath to the bottom of her wings. Clean her vent area off with Dawn or other soap and water, so that you can get a good look at the vent. Sometimes a prolapsed vent will occur with a very large egg or from being egg bound. When there is a prolapse there will be pink tissue from inside hanging out, and it needs to be pushed back inside. If there is an egg in there, you may need to lubricate a finger and try to reposition the egg to come out. Also, give her a ground or dissolved calcium tablet or Tums put into some plain yogurt or some egg. Calcium deficiency, dehydration, and larger than normal eggs can be responsible for egg binding. The others hen may have injured her vent when they saw something red. A warm bath, calcium, and gentle massage or repositioning the egg may help get it out. Let us know what you think--if it is a prolapse or egg bound or what. Honey, sugar, or Preparation H can be applied to the vent to help shrink it if it is a prolapse (if the egg is out.) White coming out of the vent may be chicken urine, but she may also have had a broken egg. Any remnants of shell should be gently removed.

So I palpated the area, and noticed that it was an egg stuck sideways in her vent. I got the egg out, very gently, and pushed the prolapse back in. Is there anything I can do to make sure that it doesnt happen again? Like supplements? And what can i apply on the prolapse to keep it moist?

Back
Top Bottom