Wyoming Unite!!!!

Pics
Yum! We picked watermelon but it wasn't sweet at all but the chickens loved it. I'm not ready for the snow that is suppose to hit here. I have lots of tomatoes that aren't ripe yet.
I have had five watermelons and they were all good, The one in the refrigerator currently is the best one yet. I picked about a peck of ripe tomatoes along with the same amount of cucumbers and peppers today. I will probably pick a peck of green tomatoes tomorrow so I can make a batch of green tomato relish.

My poultry just get watermelon rinds and they are happy with those.

Uninvited guests from this morning,
Turkey Vulture
full

full

full

full

full

full

well a crazy morning. I lost a turkey hen this morning to of all things a falling nest box. I have no idea who or what knocked it off the shelter its been sitting on since April?:confused:

So sorry to hear about this. What a sad circumstance. :hugs

We have lots of those guys around. Do they go after live full grown turkey? Always thought of them as scavengers.

I have tons of them around my home, since we have a large amount of pines, and they love to roost here in the winter. They have never bothered any of my chickens or turkeys, and I free range all day. In fact, I rarely see hawks, and I have a suspicion that the Turkey Vultures keep some of them at bay when they rule the skies.

We have lots of those guys around. Do they go after live full grown turkey? Always thought of them as scavengers.
It is my understanding that while they are mostly scavengers they are also opportunists and will take live prey also. Other than wingspan they appeared to smaller in body size than a mature tom turkey but near the size of a mature heritage turkey hen. I don't think mature turkeys would be in much danger.

So sorry to hear about this. What a sad circumstance. :hugs

I have tons of them around my home, since we have a large amount of pines, and they love to roost here in the winter. They have never bothered any of my chickens or turkeys, and I free range all day. In fact, I rarely see hawks, and I have a suspicion that the Turkey Vultures keep some of them at bay when they rule the skies.

How did I end up in Wyoming? I live in Pa, lol!!

How did I end up in Wyoming? I live in Pa, lol!!
You followed a link that I posted in the Century of Turkey Talk thread. I did not feel that vulture pictures are appropriate in the turkey thread so posted a link instead for those that might be interested.

Its a small world, I grew up in SW PA.

It is my understanding that while they are mostly scavengers they are also opportunists and will take live prey also. Other than wingspan they appeared to smaller in body size than a mature tom turkey but near the size of a mature heritage turkey hen. I don't think mature turkeys would be in much danger.

Here is what I observed last year. Nosy turkeys, and wimpy turkey vultures. The turkeys shown are midget whites, for reference.

Hope that helps, your experience may be different. Tata! I'm heading back to Pennsylvania.... :lol:

Back
Top Bottom