Wyoming Unite!!!!

Pics
Do any of you raise ducks for eggs or meat?

I tried Muscovy ducks for meat but after 5 months I couldn't take the mess they made. Otherwise they were great. Fun to watch and not to loud since they don't quack and they even got along well with the chickens. But you wouldn't believe the mess they made. Even when I trimmed it down to 3 they completely destroyed the coop(10x10) and run (45x25) in less than a month.

Anyone from Sheridan WY... Is there any regulation that chickens have to be kept at least 3 feet away from any fence or building? I could not find it written anywhere... poured over the municipal code, zoning code, and my neighborhood covenants. Moved my chickens away from the fence line immediately after the neighbors dogs tried to come through the fence. They are now on my patio against the house. Neighbor is saying it's regulation they must be 3 feet away from the fence or any buildings. They are just being transitioned from inside life to outside life, I want them close so I can keep an eye on them & easily bring them in if the temp drops (they are 8 weeks) But I don't want to break code. When they are older they will be moved to the back of the yard. Waiting to hear back from animal control, but I was wondering if anyone here knew? When the dogs tried to come through the fence to get at them, the chicks were locked in their coop which is raised quite high off the ground, well above the dogs' heads. However the coop was within about a foot of the fence line.

Thanks! I contacted the D & C shelter director and she is going to check the regulations for me. I have been over and over the municipal codes... can't find anything about 3 feet. But I absolutely do not want to break any codes. I'm not going to move the coop back where it was regardless, but I really just want to know if 3' is a rule.

There was a wooden fence panel on the neighbor's side of the fence, blocking her dog's view of the chickens completely... for some reason she removed it about a week after we started placing the chicks in the coop during the day. We do have a 6' privacy screen along the entire fence that we share with this neighbor because her dogs are so annoying... they've caused us aggravation and problems looong before we got chickens. She flat out told me she will not do anything to keep the dogs under control... apparently having chickens is cruel to the dogs because it's like "putting a big steak in front of them and expecting them not to eat it".
hmm.png

I'll update when I find out about the 3' rule from AC. Ending on a more pleasant note: Our chickies!!

You may not find anything specifically regarding chickens, but I do believe Sheridan has a planning and development code which gives the regs for setbacks of any any kind of shed, garage, or accessory building from property lines, existing structures, and fence lines. Almost every community does, including tiny little Cowley. Try searching that instead of looking for specifics re chickens and you might get an answer. I don't know Sheridan's regs but your coop would certainly fall under "accessory building" if there is no info targeting keeping livestock and/or poultry. Good Luck! Let us know what you find out.

Anyone from Sheridan WY... Is there any regulation that chickens have to be kept at least 3 feet away from any fence or building? I could not find it written anywhere... poured over the municipal code, zoning code, and my neighborhood covenants. Moved my chickens away from the fence line immediately after the neighbors dogs tried to come through the fence. They are now on my patio against the house. Neighbor is saying it's regulation they must be 3 feet away from the fence or any buildings. They are just being transitioned from inside life to outside life, I want them close so I can keep an eye on them & easily bring them in if the temp drops (they are 8 weeks) But I don't want to break code. When they are older they will be moved to the back of the yard. Waiting to hear back from animal control, but I was wondering if anyone here knew? When the dogs tried to come through the fence to get at them, the chicks were locked in their coop which is raised quite high off the ground, well above the dogs' heads. However the coop was within about a foot of the fence line.
there is a reg that says a building or fence should be 3-6' from the property line, so if you share a fence 3' would be about right. I would just to keep the dogs away, that is awful!!!

If you're worried about the dogs attacking your chickens you need a good fence. Once that's up you are within you rights if the dogs trespass. Call law enforce ment and file a complaint. If the problem persists be prepared to do something drastic.

Back
Top Bottom