Wyoming Unite!!!!

House Sparrow and Downy Woodpecker
full

full

Dodged a bullet last night! This morning I discovered raccoon tracks INSIDE my chicken yard. The fresh snow made it obvious who the culprit was. His tracks were all over it. He had evidently spent plenty of time in the yard. The hanging feeder was empty and there was a pile of coon poop in the corner. I thought I had made the yard secure with chain link fence and chicken wire but he tore thru the chicken wire covering the roof of the yard.

Fortunately the heavy wooden door was closed over the automatic door so he wasn't able to get into the henhouse and my 43 chickens and guineas. But it's a real wake up call. It's cold and the predators are HUNGRY! :rant

Dodged a bullet last night! This morning I discovered raccoon tracks INSIDE my chicken yard. The fresh snow made it obvious who the culprit was. His tracks were all over it. He had evidently spent plenty of time in the yard. The hanging feeder was empty and there was a pile of coon poop in the corner. I thought I had made the yard secure with chain link fence and chicken wire but he tore thru the chicken wire covering the roof of the yard.

Fortunately the heavy wooden door was closed over the automatic door so he wasn't able to get into the henhouse and my 43 chickens and guineas. But it's a real wake up call. It's cold and the predators are HUNGRY! :rant
There is lots of evidence in the Pests and Predators forum indicating that chicken wire is no deterrent to raccoons.

I am proactive versus predators with traps always set. This has been a bad year because of the drought. The tally at this time is 21 skunks and 8 raccoons.

There is lots of evidence in the Pests and Predators forum indicating that chicken wire is no deterrent to raccoons.

I am proactive versus predators with traps always set. This has been a bad year because of the drought. The tally at this time is 21 skunks and 8 raccoons.

It's been 10 years or more since we've had any evidence of coons around here. We are miles from any creeks or water sources. But the trap will be set tonight.

One skunk; one weasel. A couple of nights ago I heard a whoosh and a thud. On the camera I saw two dark forms on the ground and rushed out hollering naughty words. A huge dark brown form flew away. I knew my little Narragansett hen had decided to sleep on the fence, but I figured it was a safe enough place. I didn't know we were attracting the attention of an evil owl. 😡😡😡

She seems okay now but she walked around in a daze for a couple of days. All the hens have now consented to sleep in with the chickens or the geese, all on their own accord. The toms are prolly safe on the high places, but I've been catching them & putting them inside all the same. Dum-dums.

One skunk; one weasel. A couple of nights ago I heard a whoosh and a thud. On the camera I saw two dark forms on the ground and rushed out hollering naughty words. A huge dark brown form flew away. I knew my little Narragansett hen had decided to sleep on the fence, but I figured it was a safe enough place. I didn't know we were attracting the attention of an evil owl. 😡😡😡

She seems okay now but she walked around in a daze for a couple of days. All the hens have now consented to sleep in with the chickens or the geese, all on their own accord. The toms are prolly safe on the high places, but I've been catching them & putting them inside all the same. Dum-dums.
When I went out to put the birds to be last night, the turkeys were all under the trees and talking away. One hen was outside of the run. After putting her in the tun, I headed for the guinea coop. A huge Great Horned Owl took off which explained the unusual behavior of the turkeys.

This morning, the owl was back and took off as soon as it saw me. The turkeys other than the main tom were all under the trees again.

It must be the time of the year for owls to show up. I hadn't seen one for a long time but the other morning around sunrise a great horned owl was sitting on my deck railing. When I opened the sliding door to look at it, it just looked back at me. Still sitting there when I went back inside.
Where was my camera when I needed it! :confused:

Back
Top Bottom