xRaised bed wintering coop & run

ohiogoatgirl

Songster
9 Years
Jan 4, 2011
ohio
Hello all. I mostly lurk here but I would like some input on my little chicken adventure. I have a raised bed that I am going to be turning into a run with a small coop on the end. It is 3.5ft by 20ft.
Here is a pic in late May. https://www.instagram.com/p/BUVcQ-_hFE9/?taken-by=girlwalkswithgoats

Thinking to do the first 4ft of the bed into a coop and the rest fenced for a run. I need to figure out how to attach fence for the top of the run but be able to hinge it open to throw in food scraps and rabbit bedding etc. I want to utilize this to build up the bed and be able to move the chickens in the spring and plant it. I will be building a mobile coop to rotate in my sheep paddocks for next year.

I currently have 2 roos and 2 hens that are Bantams I got as chicks in the spring. They aren't laying but I was thinking that is partially because where they are in the barn right now is not the greatest and the best lighting. I may get some grown hens from someone but this won't be reaching more than 10 chickens for sure.

Any suggestions very welcome! I am hoping to be able to plan out the little coop with an access door to nest boxes. Anything other than that I am not sure.
Thanks!

Maybe you could get some brackets to attach the run sides to the raised bed, and they'd be easy to unscrew later (and possible become part of your new mobile coop).

3.5' x 4' is too small for 10 chickens. That might work for 5.

You mention having 4 chickens right now but wanting 10 total later on? Better build for 10 at least then, so you're ready to expand. Bantams require less space than regular sized birds but a 3.5x4' coop won't work for 10.

Back
Top Bottom