Xxxl Super Jumbo Coturnix

fitzy

Songster
10 Years
Aug 25, 2009
manhattan, ks
Well, not really...I almost posted under the "beware of people selling super duper coturnix eggs" thread, but i think this one deserves its own....

Is there anyone here who has raised coturnix (even in tx) to a full pound? If so, was it just a fluke or did/do you do it consistently? Also, how the heck do you get the bird to stay still long enough to weigh it? <---not funny! They guy I got mine from said they were XL jumbo, and they look big to me but i have no idea how to get the weight without killing it
hmm.png

1st Fitzy Steps On The Scale....... Then Fitzy Steps On The Scale Holding His Lil Friend..... The Difference Between The 2?==== The Weight Of Your Lil Friend! ===========lol!!!

Sorry Fitzy I Couldnt Resist! Seriously Tho Other Than That I Have No Clue Because Mine Wouldnt Stand Still For It Either....

Give 'em All Some Bourbon In Their Water Font And Just Wait A Lil While....

Oh And I'd Give Them Plenty Of Room The Next Day--- Hangovers Can Be A Real B&*()!

Quote:
THERE YA GO! BUT I STILL THINK IT WOULD BE FUNNIER TO USE THE FITZY+BIRD METHOD.....
smile.png

HECK I BET THATS ALMOST AS ENTERTAINING AS A SIGHT SEEING TRIP TO WALMART--- ESPECIALLY WHEN FITZY HAS LIKE 1000 QUAIL...

Quote:
That's about how I do it too, I have a digital scale, so i put the box and lid on, zero out the weight, put bird in box and set box on scale. You can do the same with mixing bowls when baking. I have a mixed cage 3 that look to be jumbo browns and 2 smallers (including a tux roo). This is week five, and I like the size I see on the 3 hens, I'll be checking weights every 2 weeks starting at 8 weeks. Right now I want to see 12oz or better from breeders.

Note, my "box" is one of those plastic hampster carrier boxes from the pet store, vented and all that.

NO, I have never raised a full 1 lb quail. I just weighed a pen of my quail breeders (13 weeks old). 6 hens ranged from 11.2 oz to 12.6 oz, with 4 of the 6 being 12 oz or over, and the roos were at 9.7 and 10.2 oz. I have one Golden hen who weighs right at 13 oz. I also have some young males coming up that look to be bigger than any of my older males.
I just set them on my digital scale and hold my hands around them without touching the bird or the scale. They actually set there pretty good.

Back
Top Bottom