Yeasty dog skin - has anyone been able to fix this?

Our old beagle had this, and we tried EVERYTHING to get rid of it. Expensive meds from the vet, changing foods, different shampoos, creams and powders. Finally one of our friends who raises beagles and fought this problem suggested "Horseman's Dream Fung-a-way tropical fungicide" It's made for horses dogs and cats. We bought ours pretty cheap at TSC and it has been a DREAM. Takes about three days for them to totally stop, and our beagle needs it about once a week, but she's stopped rubbing her back all over everything. Good luck!

I have 4 Jack Russells, 3 have skin issues, the only thing that I have found that stops it is Prednisone. The female has 5mg every other day, I am trying to wean her down. The 2 boys have 2.5mg evey other day. It is about $10 for 30 days worth. My female had an infection at first and had to be on antibiotics for a week. All 3 itched like crazy and were rubbing the hair off their backs. The female had raised patches all over and her ear broke out too.

I also tried changing diets, nothing else worked.

Quote:
I had a similar problem with my toy poodle..I am now feeding her Science Diet
Senior small kibble.

This food has only 19% protein...less than the average dry food. I think my dog's smell may have been due to some protein intolerance.

My dog has the same yeasty skin problems. After years of trying everything- topical, supplements, diet changes, shampoos and nothing working, I finally found an experienced vet who prescribed a combination of Ketakonazole and Cephalexin. It works like a charm. We do treatment 2 days of the week and that is enough, with a limited ingredient diet (Natural Balance - venison). The prescription is not expensive and my dog has clear skin! She is so much happier. - good luck!

Back
Top Bottom