Yeller chicks with dark spot on head?

gryeyes

Covered in Pet Hair & Feathers
10 Years
Sep 22, 2009
My slice of heaven in Somerset, CA
I'm sure there are more kinds of chickens - and certainly mixes and all that stuff - but what MIGHT be a parent to yellow chicks with a dark spot on the top of their heads?

I THINK the only daddy would be my EE rooster, as the other roosters around are bantams and Carl doesn't let 'em jump his ladies. The broody who hatched the eggs is a Welsummer, and I know what THOSE chicks look like, I just can't figure out who contributed the yeller chicks.

Possibilities: Buff Orpington, but she was raising a chick at the time and I don't think she was laying.... Delaware, goldish EE, BR, RIR, BA.

Anybody wish to share a conjecture?? Thanks!

I have a yellow chick with a few black dots on the head & back.
"She" (hopefuly - just 5wks now) is a cross of Isa Brown & SLW - I was hoping the dots would turn into penciling. So far no Luck, color has remained pretty much the same since she lost her fluff.
The friend I got the chick from has these crosses and the hens are lovely - mostly white with penciling on their backs. Roosters are pretty nice-looking too.

The Chicken Pro at my feedstore thought Isa Brown roo, but when I told him about the dots he agreed it could be a pullet.

From your list of breeds in your sig I see RIR (cross for Isa Brown) & SLW, so maybe we have the same chick.......?

Last edited:
Not knowing about your bantam roosters (and you might be surprised at what those gals will do behind Carl's back) and assuming it was the EE rooster, I'd think Delaware or EE mama. The RIR is maybe a possibility.

EE's are a mix. I don't care what color the EE rooster is or if the hen is a golden red. You don't know what colors are hiding in them since they are mixes.

The Delaware will give both her silver gene and her barred gene to her sons but not her daughters. In a yellow chick the barred part would not be noticeable, but the silver gene will make a yellow chick if it is a male and if the silver is dominant over what the rooster contributes. Depending on whats in the rooster, you might get a black spot with that. That does not mean that the chick is necessarily a male if the Delaware is the mama. The Delaware will not give that silver gene to her daughters, but the EE could have something hiding in it, even if it is a coal black EE, that makes a yellow chick.

The Buff Orp would be a possibility if she were laying.

With the mixed rooster, anything is possible but I would expect the BA and BR to probably produce a black chick with most roosters. The BR will produce a barred chick if the chick is a male, but both will give their black gene to both males and females and that black gene is pretty dominant.

The RIR hen is more problematic. She will contribute a gold gene to her offspring which makes a red chick, but it is possible the rooster could have a silver or white gene that is dominant over that and could produce a yellow chick of either sex.

Probably not much help and not knowing what the rooster is contributing, it's just a guess anyway.

Quote:
??????
hmm.png

My friend doesn't have a single Delaware.
do I have an Alien Chick From Space???

Quote:
??????
hmm.png

I think Happy Chooks was saying Delaware to me, since I have a Delaware pullet laying... she is probably the mama of my two yeller chicks with black dots on the top of their heads.
smile.png

Quote:
??????
hmm.png

I think Happy Chooks was saying Delaware to me, since I have a Delaware pullet laying... she is probably the mama of my two yeller chicks with black dots on the top of their heads.
smile.png

Sorry. Yeah Linda, that post was for you. Guess that's what I get for not reading all the posts!

Back
Top Bottom