Yellow lice/mite

Cluc

In the Brooder
Mar 29, 2021
Hey all,

Before I ask my question, I'll put some context into first... I built my coop on March 13th, on the same day I purchased two hens from a breeder/farmer - I purchased a Leghorn X Arucanna and a Faverolles.

I noticed my Faverolle on Friday seemed down - she spent pretty much all day in the coop in the nesting box she is about 17-18 weeks. I thought she was just trying to lay as I have had no eggs from her yet.

On Saturday, she was okay... But I was still concerned, I did a quick check on her and to my surprise I seen she had a few yellow mites/lice on her. I immediately used a powder called smites DE powder on her but I was so worried that I went out and purchased Battles Red Mite powder - it was probably naive of me but I thought the yellow mites/lice were red mites that just hadn't turned red yet?

So, in one day I treated her with the smite powder as well as the red mite powder.

I cleaned my whole coop out, disinfected and fresh bedding too.

I checked my leghorn to see if she was okay and I couldn't spot anything on her - I was kind of pleased about this, but thought I'd take proactive measures and just give her a brush of red mite powder too.

The following day, both of my hens were itching themselves quite a bit... I inspected the Faverolle and the yellow mites/lice were still there and so I used both powders again. I inspected the leghorn and nothing but used some powder on her too.

Today, the itching was still going on with both of them - the Faverolle does seem more happier but she still has these yellow Mites/lice. Any idea what it could be? Could you recommend a product? (I'm in the UK so I would really appreciate it if you could let me know of a UK product)

Attaching a picture of the Smite powder and my Faverolle.

Thanks in advance!

Attachments

• IMG-20210328-WA0014.jpg
    IMG-20210328-WA0014.jpg
    146.9 KB · Views: 16
  • 20210327_130156.jpg
    20210327_130156.jpg
    516.4 KB · Views: 8
Poultry lice are usually a yellow goldy colour, so she could have an issue with them. Can you see any bits on the feather shafts around her vent?Unfortunately I'm a world away and am not aware of what might be available in the UK for use. Permethrin is my go to product here, most easily acquired in the equine supply isle of feed stores since anything poultry related is a pain in the backside to get my hands on. Your best off treating all your birds, not just the one as well. Anything DE related or herbal is not likely to get rid of an infestation. Hopefully someone who knows what's available on your side of the pond will chime in with some ideas!

Hi thanks, I can head to the feed store tomorrow. Do you have any more information on Permethrin?

Back
Top Bottom