Yellow Mass in eye socket

nhbuckeye

Hatching
8 Years
Jul 17, 2011
I am hoping to get some help with this issue. We have two Aracuana bantams with this issue. They are older, about 5 yrs old. The birds are eating, drinking, and acting normal, other than not laying, but they haven't been in a while (6 plus months). Our other birds do not have this issue, but I am worried they may develop it if this is a contagious disease.

Questions I have are: 1) what is it 2) how to treat it (the mass), and 3) how to treat the underlying disease?

Any feedback is welcome.

Thanks

Scott

DSC_0065.jpg

DSC_0069.jpg

DSC_0067.jpg

using the end of a q-tip gently 'roll' it over the 'end' of yellow pus ball (dont poke in the eye under the lid, apply pressure from the outside..if you press on the side of the swelling it should force the plug out..hope that makes sense) applying a bit of pressure, the puss plug will pop right out..........it needs to be removed before it damages the eye

has the chicken been in any fights lately? is that a puncture hole i see on the swollen eye lid (1st 2 pictures)

could be infection caused by injury, could be infection cause by illness (infected sinuses)

is the chicken actin g ill, any other symptoms?

Last edited:
Purchased 3 baby silks Friday that were 2 & 4 days old and today is Sunday. I wet a q-tip & soaked the outside of the 2 day olds eye Friday night at 9pm because they were SWOLLEN shut with infection, (I bought them from a friend sight unseen...uhmmmm yea,.... not again!!!) .... hard yellow slim popped out along with a yellow hard pus ball the size of a single piece of corn (which was twice the size of it's eye mind you ....ouch!) It was gross! Thought the eye didn't develop and was popping that out...... Thank God it wasn't!!! That (1st) silk died on Sunday (today) because it moved too far from brooder light Saturday night and couldn't see to get back. I tried warming it up Sun. morning but it was too late & it died in my hands that were wrapped in a heating pad on low. Sun. morn. (same day) the 2nd silk showed symptoms of it so I quarantined it instantly. It too had a "tiny" yellow hard pus ball removed from it's eyes and then it seemed relieved. I gave 2nd sick and 3rd healthy chick a "TINY" dose of "Doxycycline" which is used to treat bacterial infections in humans. I shaved off what would be a lick of medicine to a human and put it in water and hand fed it to both of them using my fingernail. The sick one was foaming bubbles at the mouth and gasping for air as if the illness was not only clogging their eyes and swelling their face but also blocking off nasal passages and the esophagus pipe. I told my daughter that if the baby can last atleast an hour it had a fighting chance. 4hrs later the eyes were dry (not weeping yellow mucus) and it was breathing normal with happy tweets. I new then it had to eat or it will die. I watched the healthy chick who also had a dose of antibiotics for precaution eat 3 x's that little piggy lol (think that king of the hill is rooster) while the 2nd sick chick only drank what I forced it too from the nail on my finger and drops. Now it's been 11 hrs and I just cleaned sick chicks eyes again and it was hardly nothing. They are still closed from discomfort but it looked at me and talked to me after cleaning them as if saying "Help"! So sad! I Nicely but force able I fed it plain yogurt mixed with more antibiotics. Then plain scrambled egg which was too hard to do until I mixed it with the yogurt and it became sticky so the chick couldn't just spit it out it had to swallow. Then water and it was happy to get the water. Then it rested for 20 mins and I did it all again. Took my 2 hrs just to do this. I put in a warm place 45 mins ago but must check/feed it all night. I'll do my best but at this point if it's not eating/pooping and if I can't get enough food in it I know it's not going to make the night because it will be too weak. My point is that I do not know what is going on with these chicks eyes but I do know it's contagious, it's not pleasant, it's gross and that "Doxycycline" is working on this bacterial infection. I wish I had pics but as my name states I am "new to all this" and I was too busy fighting to save the little peeps life that I didn't have time to snap any. Sorry! :( If I can find this post again I'll update the end results.....Good Luck Everyone!!!

Answering as before for future referance: Today my chicks where on antibiotics for 24 hrs and healthy chick is healthy and still seperated and sick chick is atleast not contagious anymore Thank God!!! Healthy chick is a eatin, lovin machine cause it's lonely.... :( . Sick chick can now see, not perfect by far but atleast see something! It was pruning itself earlier today and it ventured out to investigates it"s box! Yea!!! It willfully will only drink and eat from my nail as it's so young and I guess learned to depend on me to survive.? Not that I mind lol.... I could use a little buddy lol! :) However so far the treatment is working..... Hope this helps someone in the future.... ! :) I'll update as I can & post pics eventually.... Best wishes to you and your birds to who ever reads this thread.

I'm so sorry you are dealing with this. Sadly, if it's got a nasty smell, it's likely something called coryza, which is VERY contagious! You can do a search in the search box (right on top, below the Backyard Chickens banner) for coryza treatments, but if it were my bird, I would cull it so it doesn't make my entire flock sick. Once they have it, even if it's cured, they are carriers, and can spread it to any other chickens they are near. You can even spread it to your other birds just from handling this one and then going near your other birds.
ep.gif

The decision is, of course, yours, but that's what I would do. Either way, please take care of other birds you have first, then this one, and then wash up very, very thoroughly, and change clothes, putting the dirty clothes directly into the wash. If it's coryza (or even MG), it's THAT dangerous and contagious! I would simply not take the chance, myself, to endanger not only my own birds, but anyone else's that you could accidentally spread the disease to.
idunno.gif
If you do choose to cull the bird, and you have the ability to do so, I would also burn the carcass rather than burying it.

Last edited:
Chicken pus tends to get hard and blobby like that. I'm thinking mega infection - either conjunctivitis or sinus or both. Definitely need antibiotics for the eye and I'm thinking that pus ball might need to be removed, although I don't think even I'd be comfortable doing that myself.
sad.png

Back
Top Bottom