Yellowish Urates

Hi MarcyG!
:welcome
Can you tell us what age the hen is?
As said at the beginning of this thread yellow urates can be caused by a number of things. You said there is plenty of water available to them, have you actually seen this hen drinking? When her activity level and appetite seem normal - that's good.
Have you inspected the chicken all over to see if anything feels off? Does she feel thin (protruding breast bone)? Is her crop functioning properly (full at night, empty in the morning)? How does her belly feel compared to the others?
It might be nothing to worry about, but I would give her a once over, observe to make sure she is eating And drinking (not just putting on a show in your company) and check her crop in the morning before she eats or drinks.

Hi Cragg,
Thanks for your reply. My hen ("Aubrey" -a RIR) is approximately 3+1/2 yrs old. She's in the photo with me. :) Last April she had a serious infection from an internal broken egg, and almost died. Since then, she has not been laying at all. I've seen her drinking throughout the day. Her crop is a bit mushy during the day, not too firm, and is empty in the early a.m. She's eating well (I feed the flock fermented feed and they have layer crumbles available all day to self-feed as well).

Hi Cragg,
Thanks for your reply. My hen ("Aubrey" -a RIR) is approximately 3+1/2 yrs old. She's in the photo with me. :) Last April she had a serious infection from an internal broken egg, and almost died. Since then, she has not been laying at all. I've seen her drinking throughout the day. Her crop is a bit mushy during the day, not too firm, and is empty in the early a.m. She's eating well (I feed the flock fermented feed and they have layer crumbles available all day to self-feed as well).
She's lovely :)
Can you have a feel of her 'belly' (from her vent to between her legs from the back to the front) to see if she is bloated/firm/soft? This is just because of her having had an infection which stopped her laying, I think it would be possible there could be after effects.
Again though, for now I would observe her frequently - watch for any 'off' behaviour, going off of food, keeping to herself, standing around tail down, that sort of thing.

She's lovely :)
Can you have a feel of her 'belly' (from her vent to between her legs from the back to the front) to see if she is bloated/firm/soft? This is just because of her having had an infection which stopped her laying, I think it would be possible there could be after effects.
Again though, for now I would observe her frequently - watch for any 'off' behaviour, going off of food, keeping to herself, standing around tail down, that sort of thing.

Thank you, Cragg. Her underbelly feels normal. I'm continuing to watch for any off/abnormal behaviors from her. So far, so good.

Thanks Cragg, she's doing better. Yellowish urates went away. :)

Now one of my other gals (Sidekick) seems 'not herself' and her crop feels very hot to the touch. :-( I'll check posts here on BYC and see if I can get any info re: hot crops
Glad to hear she's doing well!
A hot crop....I can only think that skin has got to be irritated by something - molting (pin feathers), lice/mites. Is she molting?
Again check sidekicks crop is emptying overnight and check for signs of lice or mites with a flashlight once your girls have gone to roost (easiest then).
Do your flock have grit available to them?

Glad to hear she's doing well!
A hot crop....I can only think that skin has got to be irritated by something - molting (pin feathers), lice/mites. Is she molting?
Again check sidekicks crop is emptying overnight and check for signs of lice or mites with a flashlight once your girls have gone to roost (easiest then).
Do your flock have grit available to them?

Hi Cragg, I've checked with a neighbor who also has chickens, she also thinks the 'hot crop' may be due to pin feathers coming in. Her crop is emptying at night. I checked last night and did not see any mites/lice or critters on her. I DO have grit and oyster shell in the coop for them, available 24/7 anytime they want. I'm hoping its a pin feather side effect, and goes away soon. Thanks for your advice and support. :)

While bright white urates are prefered, they can be off white, even a tad yellowish and still the bird is fine. Its the stark yellow urates that are worrisome.

Urates can turn yellow for a variety of reasons. E.coli, Salmonella, yeast infections, Kidney infections, even simple dehydration can cause yellow urates.

As for the above picture, the bird could be dehydrated a bit. Keep an eye on the poop for a while. If this were my bird, I wouldn't do anything about this yet. Try to get more hydrating foods into your flock.
My sick poult that died 2 days ago was having yellow urate on otherwise normal poo.... now another of the poults is acting "under the weather" & having yellow urate.... I just started the flock on tylan/doxy soluble 2 days ago, will this help them if it's e coli or salmonella? Or what do i need to change them all over to? Any suggestions please? The one died within a day of looking/acting sluggish but had lost some weight too.
@TwoCrows @Wyorp Rock
@R2elk @casportpony @Eggcessive @aart

Back
Top Bottom