yelow / white and black spots on comb and wattles??

Areeba

In the Brooder
8 Years
Oct 31, 2011
Hi there,
Hope everybody is fine and enjoying good health...:) . I need ur help regarding my cochin bantam rooster. today i noticed some yellow/white spots along with black ones on my rooster's comb and watttles.. He seems to be fit and fine with normal poops. so what is it and what should i do now......
Thanks
Regards,
Areeba.

By the description, sounds like dry pox friend. Not a lot you can do but let it run it's course, try iodine or toothpaste on a qtip and apply to their lesions to help dry them out if you want to move it along faster.. Normally I wouldn't have done anything to it (of course, this is the first year I have had it in... I'd say possibly 10 years or more). All of the Leghorn cockerels I ordered from Ideal Hatchery contracted the virus which popped out all over their face/one had it on his legs, one Kraienköppe did have one spot on his comb, and a few of the games had very minor breakouts (about 1-3 spots) out of all of those I had.

Since I had it anyway, I tested the toothpaste as I had always heard it worked but wasn't for sure.. Needless to say after applying it, it cleared up quickly.

God bless,
Daniel.

Last edited:
Thanks for a nice advice. Today i saw some spots on my cochin hen. i have only two hen and a rooster. m too much worried about them. there are lots of mosquitoes around their cage. i have covered there cage with a blanket though , but there are still lots of mosquitoes in there cage i dont know how they get in.

can i give some antibiotics to my chickens to prevent them from secondary infections. like amoxil 125 mg syrup. or some other. my rooster eats only sun flowers. what other things should i give him to eat.

Thanks
Regards,
Areeba

I searched on net and got a pic similar to my chickens so is it a dry pox or wet pox? there are less spots on my rooster comb and wattles.

Dry pox. My flock is just finishing up there bout of it. I did have to treat them for a secondary infection that they had, but was told by everyone that fowlpox does not require it. It helped the secondary infect and fowlpox is clearing on its own. :) I hope your flock feels better soon!

Last edited:
hmm... i hope they will be better soon. how much time does it take to shed or to disappear . do they eat and drink well during fowl pox? do they get ever as well?

Absolutly, mine feel better, about 3-4 weeks then they are immune for life like people with chicken pox lol ( theres a pun in that somehow) but its not contagious to people. Mine never even acted sick but one who got it on her eyes which swelled shut. I washed her eyes daily and put neiosporine ointment in her eyes 2 a day ( not pain relief or the cream) and her eyes got better in about a week, kept her seperated from the flock cause she could only see out of a peep hole in one eye.They are all getting better.I found the other night some of the wart looking scabs on her feet that were hard like corns after soaking her feet they rubbed off. So keep a eye on their eyes and feet. Now if you notice it in their mouth or in the eyes it could be wetpox which I do not know about but hear it can be fatal.Mine also got a secondary infection that made their noses run and eyes had bubbles in them I treated it with durimyicine10 (sp?) 1teaspoon per gallon of water.and can get at tractor supply for about $6. and they are doing great now.they laid through the whole ordeal and eggs eatable. Some dont eat eggs when hens are on antibiotics but we do and never had a problem but that is a decision you have to make.In a nutshell if its drypox they will be fine just watch out for their eyes and feet. I hope they feel better soon. :)

Kristin

hmm....today i noticed that my rooster is not eating well. having some trouble in swallowing food. i am giving him cerelac with boiled egg yolk. what other things can i give him to eat? he is shaking a lot. i have covered his cage with a blanket.
i checked his mouth, there are no lumps or anything like that might be they are in wind pipe or some where else....what are the symptoms for wet pox?
Thanks
Regards,
Areeba.

Can i apply honey with ginger power to his throat with a cotton bud. i am too much worried about him. can i use iodine salt?? what other home remedies can i apply to my rooster's throat to treat throat ulcers or mucus.

hmm....today i noticed that my rooster is not eating well. having some trouble in swallowing food. i am giving him cerelac with boiled egg yolk. what other things can i give him to eat? he is shaking a lot. i have covered his cage with a blanket.
i checked his mouth, there are no lumps or anything like that might be they are in wind pipe or some where else....what are the symptoms for wet pox?
Thanks
Regards,
Areeba.
How did you chickens make out. Shaking is a really bad sign. They should have more variety in their diet other than sunflowers. Also they need grit to digest, do they have access to the ground, I noticed you said they were in cages?

Back
Top Bottom