Yes Ma'am No Sir

Actually the use of the words Ma'am and Sir here is very scarce. Many a time I wonder how some young people my own age, can even have the right to use a dis-respectful title when answering persons older and both younger then themselves. Where are the days when kiddo's were helped right when greeting a older person in a dis-respectful manner? Or is today "raise-your-self" new tool guide for raising children!?!

I shouldn't actually be ranting, me hasn't been on this earth planet very long, maybe longer in the chook-universe.

My 3 and 4 year old learned maam and sir quickly after they learned yes and no. I've had some family members tell me that I'm harsh on my children and making them behave (I get the "oh let them be children" response a lot), but its those same family members that compliment me on how well mannered my children are. I beam with pride when my children use their manners without any coaxing.

I didn't grow up with sir and ma'am and my mother-in-law, who is 80, says she still remembers the first time she was called ma'am in a store. It made her feel old. So it is not just now, new manners, it is regional and cultural differences within the country. My kids sir and ma'am some of their teachers, because they expect it. I don't feel it is necessary. My friend from Scotland finds all the sir-ing and ma'am-ing here in the South very strange. Those are very specific titles of respect where she is from, and aren't really thrown around willy-nilly.

So, I don't think that sir and ma'am are needed to show respect, and in certain areas I've only heard them to show the opposite. In the US the are mainly used in the South and by former or current military people. Other parts of the English speaking world they are not common.

I just wanted to add that if I prefer to be addressed by my first name, how is that disrespectful? It is disrespectful of MY wishes to do otherwise. With an in-law, would it be respectful to address my husband's aunt as Aunt Marian, Mrs. Matson or Marian? In my mother's day, it would have been Mrs. Matson. I address her by her first name, anything else would seem very strange to me.

Last edited:
I catch flack from everyone 'cuz I use my manners the way I was taught. Sir n Ma'am are a way of life. You know how hard it is when a lady tells you don't call me ma'am and I automatically say Yes Ma'am.... I mean.... Ok........ er...... uh.........

It's how I was brought up. The grass is green, the sky is blue, a show of respect is sir, ma'am, mister, miss/missus etc..

Not in the least disrespectful to any woman who actually IS a madam... but for those of us who don't care to be given that dubious (at least down here) title it's a little ... odd... though I confess I do rather like the look of the getup.

thumb_pro49c60a13dbcda.jpg

Quote:
I do everywhere except my own house. But I do when I sit down to supper, my hat goes under the chair..

If'n I took my hat off at home whenever I came inside, I'd forget to put it back on when I went out in the sun. I get sunburned and sun sick something aweful since doc changed my bp meds.

Back
Top Bottom