Yes Ma'am No Sir

As a 30 year old I do not mind Ma'am at all, in fact I like it. That is the way I was brought up, and if I ever have kids they will be little Yes Ma'am and No Sir respect givers or else.....and just like Mom said, "You don't want to find out what else is.". Opening doors for people, saying thank you to the waiter who fills your water glass and just thanking people in general seems to have gone away. Sad.

Quote:
That has happened to my mother her whole life. Not from a smoker's voice, she just has a very deep voice, and people would call and say, "Hello, Mr. Smith?" Of course I could only hear my mother's end of the call saying, "NO... MRS" in an annoyed voice.
lol.png

Quote:
From what I remember of that other thread many of us women agreed that being called Ma'am makes us feel old, but I don't remember any of us saying it is disrespectful. In fact, I know I for one said the opposite, I said I don't care for it, because it makes me feel old, but I don't show my annoyance because at least they are trying to be respectful.

I think Ma'am and Sir should definitely be used more often. It's a polite and respectful way to address anyone, even family, and even with however old it makes them feel, unless they actually specify they would like to be addressed otherwise.

I think ma'ma, sir, Mr., Miz, thank you, please, your welcome all need to be used. And by every one no matter the age. My DGDs ages 12 and 8 have been taught from day one to use these terms. They even call their uncle's girl friend of 4 years (and a daughter) Miz Ashley. Not Aunt Ashely because they are not married. When that happens it will be Aunt Ashley out of respect. We were taught you use Aunt and Uncle and called our grandparnets by their last name not first name it was just the right thing to do. I always got upset when a teacher would not expect the the use of manners. Saying they were just happy to get an answer for the kids. Mine were taught use your manners no matter what. But we were also taught that your underware didn't hang out of your britches. Never mind don't get me started on that one.
somad.gif

piecemaker

I agree it should also be used all the time. Me, my husband, and kids, age 7 and 2 use it. You also hold doors for people, let older people have your seat if needed, and you don't wear your hat at the dinner table.

Edited to add I was born and raised in the South!

Last edited:
Quote:
exactly. Since when did being polite become the new rude? I will never understand this "modern" society.

My children as do myself and my husband address people as ma'am and sir. We say please and thank you. We say "bless you" when some one sneezes. We hold doors and help a stranger in need.

Maybe it's because we are from the south, more or less (there is some debate of KY's location) but I think it's more because we were raised and have raised our children to believe that they are not the center of the universe, and that other people's feelings count too.

I used to get very angry when trying to teach my children to address an adult properly by Mr, Mrs or Ms/Miss and then that adult says "oh no call me so and so". And I would then have to correct my child and the adult. Children are NOT equal to adults. They are children. Addressing another person in a familiar way as using their first name is not a given right. It is also generally NOT appropriate in a child to adult relationship.

Even in families, that is why it's Uncle Steve or Aunt Sue and not Steve and Sue.

It's called MANNERS. Which are sorely lacking in this society.

Back
Top Bottom