Yes Ma'am No Sir

Quote:
clap.gif
I do that, to everyone form my best friend to my parents to the random guy i bought chickens from a year ago... I agree, it is imperative that we should show respect to people, especially imperative for us teen types.
tongue.png

Quote:
Hey Ewe! I agree with that. I will say excuse me Ma'am or Sir to a stranger who's name I don't know. I'll also say Sir or Ma'am to someone that helps me. As in "Thank you Sir" with a friendly vs a respectful inflection. I never use it in a submissive manner though, with one exception. Cops. Otherwise if I use it the situation is clear that it is a form of address and is not showing that I feel they have a higher position than me. Such as a parent or boss or the POTUS or some politicians or such. I wouldn't address a millionaire as Sir just because of his money. He would have to hold a position of power that I respected.

If someone says Sir to me I tell them I work for a living so they can just call me Greg. If one of my kids friends call me Sir I tell them to call me Greg or Mr Dunkopf.

When I deal with customers I address them by Mr or Miss or Mrs then their last name.

When I was brought up, my parents always got onto me if I didn't say yes ma'ma or sir. Since I used it so much thats how I always talk to my elders. I think it is a sign of respect, but yes if they wish not to be called ma'ma or sir, then respect them and don't say it. But never just say yeah or what? That is disrespectful and no one deserves to be disrespected.

I started this thread as a discussion on what I feel is a loss of common curtesy in society. While words certainly are important, the attitude with which those words is used is even more important. I've had people say Yes Sir with such venom that you had no doubt and to what they really were saying. Curtesty and respect is more about attitude than words.

Sir/Ma'am is not a guarantee of respect being given.

I've got a co-worker who is the rudest thing you'll come across - if she needs me to do something she comes over, throws the paper at me and says "Here Ma'am, get this done." Keep in mind, I'm in a higher position than her. However, the 23 y/o recent graduate who is the total opposite of me, looks like the "punk teenager" who people dislike comes over and goes "Mrs Lastname, would you please get this done today?" then when I take the paperwork and get it done right away or while she's waiting, I get a "Thank you!"

I've explained to both that my name is Algae, and please call me that. Ma'am caller will not bother with learning my name, despite when she throws the paper at me, she's looking at my name tag. The younger girl won't call me that because I'm older than her and it's not respectful.

Guess whose paperwork gets processed as soon as I can and which one sits in the pile until I get time to bother with it. Also, Ma'am has been here 6 years, yet no advancement. The 23 y/o, I'm already working to get her into my team that goes out to meet people in public. Because I know which one will be respectful and polite to people outside of the office. The other, I wouldn't trust her as far as I could throw her.

We have technology to be blamed for, our social exposure to be blamed for, our parents lax of proper manners, and "all for me" attitude. That is why it went to pot when it comes to manners.

Ever put someone in their place by correcting them the proper protocol?

Quote:

Be careful you might put your back out! Then you'd be a real broody bantam with koolaid colored babies and that can't be good for anybody!

Quote:

Be careful you might put your back out! Then you'd be a real broody bantam with koolaid colored babies and that can't be good for anybody!

I can't throw anyone/anything right now, so the person is stuck at her desk being rude.

Back
Top Bottom