YO GEORGIANS! :)

Do you need a special license or permit to sell eggs from your home in Georgia?

You don't need a license to sell eggs if people come to your home to get them. (Friends and family). You do need a license to sell eggs away from your home. (Farmers Market, etc) The biggest thing is that you need to know how to tell if you have good eggs or old eggs or bad eggs. You need to know how to transport eggs (correct temperature, no cracking, etc) and label your eggs. You cannot sell old eggs. That being said, the eggs at the store are sure to be older than yours! LOL! That is what the candler's license teaches you and stresses that you know. It is a free class so I don't see why everyone doesn't get it.

You don't need a license to sell eggs if people come to your home to get them. (Friends and family). You do need a license to sell eggs away from your home. (Farmers Market, etc) The biggest thing is that you need to know how to tell if you have good eggs or old eggs or bad eggs. You need to know how to transport eggs (correct temperature, no cracking, etc) and label your eggs. You cannot sell old eggs. That being said, the eggs at the store are sure to be older than yours! LOL! That is what the candler's license teaches you and stresses that you know. It is a free class so I don't see why everyone doesn't get it.
Oh ok. I would love to take the class. I will have to see when and where the class is taught.

And now that I spoiled your day with the business license comment.....

GUESS WHO GOT 8 PILGRIM GOSLINGS TODAY!!
ya.gif

Stick them under a broody hen. And then when the chicks arrive, give one away to each guest that stays at your place. :D

The egg licensing is one thing but you also have to make sure your county does not have additional requirements. (business license type stuff) I know it's a pain but some counties are way more strict than others. Check with your local extension office for dates of candling classes near you.
I have a small home business so I already have an EIN number but I will check to make sure of what all is needed for my county. Thank you!

Once we get our place up and running to the point we can call it a business, we will use all of our expenses as tax write offs. We are saving every receipt for every egg, chick, gosling, poult, fence supply, gas, and anything else that could be construed as a part of that business. Start up costs dontchaknow.

Last edited:
Eggs are one thing, but if you plan to sell chicks, goslings, or actual living and breathing animals, you will also need a license with the state Department of Agriculture. This is supposed to be for ANYONE who sells ANY animal, including dogs and cats, but clearly most people don't do it. Cost starts at $50.

Eggs are one thing, but if you plan to sell chicks, goslings, or actual living and breathing animals, you will also need a license with the state Department of Agriculture. This is supposed to be for ANYONE who sells ANY animal, including dogs and cats, but clearly most people don't do it. Cost starts at $50.
This is all good to know. I will be contacting our Ag Extension office this week to find out all that I need so I will be ready when the time comes. Thanks!

Well my EE started laying on Friday, then not to be outdone, one of my BO laid an egg on Sunday. Can't wait to go home and check the box. All of my birds are 17-22 weeks, so they are all pretty close. My Marans are the oldest, but they don't seem too interested yet.
gave me
But when my son went out to check the box this morning, she told him it was too early for eggs:

Back
Top Bottom