YO GEORGIANS! :)

Sounds like it.

That reminds me of a question. Do ducks need a big pool to mate? I put almost 20 duck eggs in my incubator and only 2 developed. They have a kiddie pool. They're still under a year old, so I'm also wondering if my Drake is just too immature still.
I recollect that certain breeds only mate in the water. I don't remember which ones though. My Khaki-Campbells and Pekins get it on wherever they feel like it.
I'm using a 5' round kiddie pool for their bath water.

Last edited:
I also didn't have a good hatch with my ducks (4 out of 12). I did some research and found that I shouldn't use a turner. The article said the eggs are too big and the top of the eggs get too hot. That you should lay them down and hand turn them. This article also said that you should let them cool every 4-5 days for about 10 minutes. The humidity should be higher....about 55% until lockdown and then jump it to 75%. I think I may try this and see what happens.

Oh, that's interesting. This is my first time using a turner and I did put them in it. I was using the dry hatch method too. Hmm, well, there's plenty of eggs so I can always try again. Thanks for the tips!

I recollect that certain breeds on mate in the water. I don't remember which ones though. My Khaki-Campbells and Pekins get it on wherever they feel like it.
I'm using a 5' round kiddie pool for their bath water.

That's what I have, khaki campbells and pekins. I've seen him mate them. I should just crack some eggs open and make a quiche after checking fertility. I don't actually eat eggs all that often, but when I have, they looked fertile for the most part.

I also didn't have a good hatch with my ducks (4 out of 12). I did some research and found that I shouldn't use a turner. The article said the eggs are too big and the top of the eggs get too hot. That you should lay them down and hand turn them. This article also said that you should let them cool every 4-5 days for about 10 minutes. The humidity should be higher....about 55% until lockdown and then jump it to 75%. I think I may try this and see what happens.
Incubator Warehouse makes a flat turner that I use sometimes. It fits in the styrofoam incubators and rolls the eggs.
Storey's Guide to Raising Ducks lays it out as 99,2-99.5 & 47-50% relative humidity for days 1 - 24. Starting on day 7 mist the eggs with 100 deg water daily.
Day 25 is 98.5 degrees and 57%
Day 26 is 98 degrees and 73%

When I followed this last year, I had a good hatch rate. I didn't do it this first hatch since I had chicken eggs in with them.

Incubator Warehouse makes a flat turner that I use sometimes. It fits in the styrofoam incubators and rolls the eggs.
Storey's Guide to Raising Ducks lays it out as 99,2-99.5 & 47-50% relative humidity for days 1 - 24. Starting on day 7 mist the eggs with 100 deg water daily.
Day 25 is 98.5 degrees and 57%
Day 26 is 98 degrees and 73%

When I followed this last year, I had a good hatch rate. I didn't do it this first hatch since I had chicken eggs in with them.
Thanks, Jack! I may do one whole batch of ducks!

Hey GAM, how did your eggs from me work out? Any cute ones?

Lots of them ... and some NNs, too. Thank you again so very much.

Oh, that's interesting. This is my first time using a turner and I did put them in it. I was using the dry hatch method too. Hmm, well, there's plenty of eggs so I can always try again. Thanks for the tips!
That's going to be a big part of your issue ... waterfowl need higher humidity.

I do my ducks and geese in a turner, on their sides. I'm using a cabinet, though ... so there isn't the heating element exposure that there is in the smaller units.

Have you seen these? This looks like exactly what you would need.
http://incubatorwarehouse.com/incuturn-egg-turner-hb.html

It begins... 26 eggs in the hatch box. They are all due to hatch tomorrow, and 12 have already pipped. 8 are from olive eggers, and 9 each from calico cochin, and golden phoenix. So far... So good.:fl
Are the cochins full size? If so, I would like to buy a female to add to my mixed group! Or get some eggs from you......

Back
Top Bottom